Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To Cable or Not-Cable - that is the question

We cut the cable cord this past Monday. No streaming packages and no antenna. We are able to watch some regular shows on the internet/computers and others with our Fire stick. So far, so good!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I’ve not had cable since the late 90s! I went without a TV from 2003-2016. Got a 24” (or so) and a $35 digital antenna from Target that’s directly connected to TV. For some reason I can’t get CBS, but I really only watch WGN (for the news) and PBS. I have Amazon Prime and will occasionally watch a movie or TV episode. I’m more of a radio person.

We cut the cord (Dish Network) a few weeks ago. Spent $30 for a Roku box and have three free months of Hulu. We got a small antenna for $50 to get the local channels. We absolutely love it, and are kicking ourselves for not listening to our friends and doing it sooner. On the other hand, we'd already signed up for a two year contract with Dish, so we let it run until it was nearly over. When they jacked up the rates for the umpteeenth time, we'd had it. We paid $70 to get out of the last two months of the contract, and washed our hands of them. Their boxes, etc., are now boxed up and awaiting the UPS man to come pick them up. Good riddance!

I had FIOS TV 200 channels along with a DVD player and phone service several years ago. I moved from a house to a condominium which supplied me with an inhouse cable TV service which cost far less but fewer channels. Their service quality caused a rebellion by my fellow communards which caused the management to bring in FIOS! I bought an indoor antenna for TV and use the Internet at our community roon, a nearby public library and two coffee shops for free or cheap. There's no monthly subscription!

Yppej
    The good service does get addictive. I had a rebellion at home and DS now has a Verizon account in his name as I couldn't deal with these companies anymore. The TV was not such a big deal but he noticed the difference between fiber and coax cable.

For those who are into streaming, apparently Hulu has a deal through tomorrow .99 a month for 12 months. There are restrictions... I believe new subscribers or renewing subscriptions only??? Check the fine print. I thought about it, but decided 'no thanks'.

Hope this link works: https://www.hulu.com/start?&cmp=7957...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

happystuff, new subscribers only...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    happystuff, new subscribers only...
    Thanks, SteveinMN. I finally got a chance to go look at the fine print:

"Limited Commercials plan only. $0.99/month for 12 months, then $7.99/month. Ends 11:59 PM PST on 11/26/18. New and eligible returning subscribers only. Additional terms apply."

My son doesn’t have cable and when I visit it’s complicated to just watch tv if he is not home. Too big a pain.

Our preferred programming is either very difficult or not available streaming. We choose to spend money on Dish. We have cable internet provider. We both must be able to log into work any time day/night, so we must have a highly dependable internet provider.

Thread Information