Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Borscht

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Price County, WI
    Posts
    782

    Borscht

    This borscht was made during 7 hours in an electric slow cooker.

    For lack of cabbage, I quartered 7-8 brussels sprouts. It really schmecked with sour cream and caraway rye bread.

    000_0255 (2).jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,681
    I love caraway rye, and onion, and dill rye. My German asserting itself, I guess.

    I've never made borscht, but the IP would be perfect for it. I had some once, long ago, and didn't think much of it, but I think that was because it was made with beef stock. I'll add it to my "must try" list. Thanks for mentioning it!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,358
    It is making my mouth water! I would not have that much patience though. My mother makes hers on the stovetop in maybe an hour?

  4. #4
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,814
    I think I've only had Borscht once as an adult, it was an all day experiment in using surplus garden veggies. You've reminded me how much I enjoyed it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    It is making my mouth water! I would not have that much patience though. My mother makes hers on the stovetop in maybe an hour?
    Yeah--I have no patience at all. That's why pressure cooking is ideal for me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member SteveinMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,114
    I love borscht! Or did -- not quite on the list for someone eating very-low-carb. I much prefer the more stew-like borschts rather than the cold-thin beet variety.

    I like that we're getting back to soup and stew weather!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,827
    Here's what is funny to me about Borscht. Probably only to me. I went to a Russian restaurant and was served Borscht. I'd always heard about it and had never had it. I took one spoonful and thought: "Oh! I've been making this all my life!" Except I don't use beets. I had to laugh, because I was expecting something so new to my palate and here it was, what I've always made!

  8. #8
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    Here's what is funny to me about Borscht. Probably only to me. I went to a Russian restaurant and was served Borscht. I'd always heard about it and had never had it. I took one spoonful and thought: "Oh! I've been making this all my life!" Except I don't use beets. I had to laugh, because I was expecting something so new to my palate and here it was, what I've always made!
    I donít know how to tell you so I will just say it: borscht without beets is not borscht.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I don’t know how to tell you so I will just say it: borscht without beets is not borscht.
    That's fine. I don't mind saying that what I have made all these years is NOT borsht, but it tastes almost the same. Besides, I don't like beets so I wouldn't have included them anyway. Really, mine is very similar.

  10. #10
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    That's fine. I don't mind saying that what I have made all these years is NOT borsht, but it tastes almost the same. Besides, I don't like beets so I wouldn't have included them anyway. Really, mine is very similar.
    So, what is it that you make ?a sort of cabbage stew in beef broth?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •