Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Borscht

Borscht

This borscht was made during 7 hours in an electric slow cooker.

For lack of cabbage, I quartered 7-8 brussels sprouts. It really schmecked with sour cream and caraway rye bread.

000_0255 (2).jpg

I love caraway rye, and onion, and dill rye. My German asserting itself, I guess.

I've never made borscht, but the IP would be perfect for it. I had some once, long ago, and didn't think much of it, but I think that was because it was made with beef stock. I'll add it to my "must try" list. Thanks for mentioning it!

It is making my mouth water! I would not have that much patience though. My mother makes hers on the stovetop in maybe an hour?

I think I've only had Borscht once as an adult, it was an all day experiment in using surplus garden veggies. You've reminded me how much I enjoyed it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    It is making my mouth water! I would not have that much patience though. My mother makes hers on the stovetop in maybe an hour?
    Yeah--I have no patience at all. That's why pressure cooking is ideal for me.

I love borscht! Or did -- not quite on the list for someone eating very-low-carb. I much prefer the more stew-like borschts rather than the cold-thin beet variety.

I like that we're getting back to soup and stew weather!
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

Here's what is funny to me about Borscht. Probably only to me. I went to a Russian restaurant and was served Borscht. I'd always heard about it and had never had it. I took one spoonful and thought: "Oh! I've been making this all my life!" Except I don't use beets. I had to laugh, because I was expecting something so new to my palate and here it was, what I've always made!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    Here's what is funny to me about Borscht. Probably only to me. I went to a Russian restaurant and was served Borscht. I'd always heard about it and had never had it. I took one spoonful and thought: "Oh! I've been making this all my life!" Except I don't use beets. I had to laugh, because I was expecting something so new to my palate and here it was, what I've always made!
    I donít know how to tell you so I will just say it: borscht without beets is not borscht.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I don’t know how to tell you so I will just say it: borscht without beets is not borscht.
    That's fine. I don't mind saying that what I have made all these years is NOT borsht, but it tastes almost the same. Besides, I don't like beets so I wouldn't have included them anyway. Really, mine is very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    That's fine. I don't mind saying that what I have made all these years is NOT borsht, but it tastes almost the same. Besides, I don't like beets so I wouldn't have included them anyway. Really, mine is very similar.
    So, what is it that you make ?a sort of cabbage stew in beef broth?