Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Borscht

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    So, what is it that you make ?a sort of cabbage stew in beef broth?
    Oh pretty much. With Cabbage and onions and potatoes any garden type veg, tomaotes, bay,...it was never a recipe, per se, just a lot of veggies and beef stock and beef if I had it thrown together. If I'm going to do the beef, I prefer beef shank. So amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    It is making my mouth water! I would not have that much patience though. My mother makes hers on the stovetop in maybe an hour?
    I wonder, does she use meat? For me, making it with meat takes hours.

Yppej
    No Tian, she does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    I wonder, does she use meat? For me, making it with meat takes hours.
    Apparently, it takes 45 minutes in the Instant Pot:
    https://twosleevers.com/pressure-coo...ssian-borscht/

I understand that traditional Ukrainian homes had wood-burning brick ovens. And the original method of borscht preparation was slow cooking in a covered clay pot. There could be a great variety in ingredients, based on what was available.

My procedure was to simmer the meat in the pot (could have included bones, but did not have them) a couple hours (for stock), then remove the meat and set it aside. Vegetables were added to the stock in order of the required cooking time. I put in potato and rutabaga cubes early... quartered brussels sprouts relatively late. I sautéed julienned beets and chopped onions in ghee, mixed with fresh parsley and tomato paste, covered this in the wok and let it sit about an hour... and added this mixture to the borscht pot relatively late. About 20 minutes before serving, I added the reserved meat to the pot, and adjusted the salt and fresh ground pepper.

I harvested my garden beets today. They've provided beet greens all summer but with snow in the forecast I've been cleaning out the garden. I followed this basic recipe of what they are calling a Russian borscht, which is meatless although it uses beef broth. Fresh beets and tomatoes from the garden, carrots from the farmers market, and the rest grocery store. I substituted red cabbage for the green and used a food processor for all the chopping and prep time was quick. I've never made a serious borscht attempt and it was really good. A little fresh dill might have added a bit more appreciation. It made a lot and I'm hoping it will freeze well. I was also inspired by the OP to bake rye and caraway beer bread using with a good dark German dunkle. Thanks for the ideas!
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...-borscht-soup/

It looks so good. I love to make borscht. I cut the vegetables with mandoline vegetable slicer and the veggies look grate.

Rogar,

Lovely borscht! Smachnoho.

The linked recipe seems incredibly fast to me. I like to take all day with borscht.
    Last edited by dado potato; 10-13-18 at 5:49pm.

Thread Information