Makes me nuts.

I’m in int’l shipping as many of you know. We have lots of payments to make to freight carriers, airlines, etc. It costs about $16 to send a check UPS across the country. And $15 to send a check out with the local messenger service to a local vendor. It is $5-$10 to send a payment electronically with two payment services for our industry. We charge customers $25 for sending a payment, regardless of how it’s sent.

Nearly all of my coworkers flat out refuse to use the electronic payment services unless they have to send out a last minute payment. Management doesn’t care which is used, but I find it bizarre coworkers would rather have to deal with printing check, getting it signed, and doing up UPS label, and making sure it’s out in the warehouse in time to be picked up the same day than doing an electronic payment that doesn’t require them to leave their desk.

I only send out checks these days when I absolutely have to (such as when a company doesn’t participate in the electronic payment services).

I have one customer who refuses to use email and only uses fax. But he uses a service where a fax is converted to email, and vice versa.