Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tax Fraud

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Because the ends justify the means?
    That's been the Republicans' mantra the last several years--absolutely. Lie, cheat, steal, and defame in the service of the Koch brothers and Grover Norquist. To hell with the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    In this case, YES! He's a sick, evil man who is doing nothing but causing problems for this country that will last well after he's out.
    I hold no brief for Trump, but this kind of thinking carries it’s own burden of sickness and evil. As if defining Trump as irredeemably evil justies any evil on the part of his enemies. As if Trump can only be defeated by something even worse.

In the ugliness of the past few weeks, we have redefined credibility to mean whatever we find expedient to believe. We have reduced two human beings to mere political allegory. The best are watching baseball and the worst are full of passionate intensity. No investigation, hearing or legislative process will be accepted by the losing side as legitimate. In the current way of thinking, it seems that nothing less than utter defeat of the opposing tribe is acceptable.

It has corrupted, deracinated and debased both major political parties. I’m glad I voted Libertarian.

People that voted 3rd party are part of the problem. A wasted vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    At the time (as well as presently) I regarded a vote for either major party candidate as worse than a waste.

If Clinton was the solution, I’m proud to be part of the problem.

Congratulations then

I disagree with the premise that impeachment is a bad idea because it will make that sad man a martyr as opposed to voting him out. His base, at his insistence, will simply doubt the veracity of the election.

At the end of the day we are a country that has the rule of law as a key principle. The precedent that will be set by letting someone who is very likely guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors finish out his term is appalling. Almost as appalling as Nixon being pardoned and the precedent that that set. But at least in Nixon's case he was forced to resign first.

I guess if we're not going to see Republican politicians stand up for what is right the next best thing is that they crash and burn at the polls during the election next month and two years from now. Perhaps that will be enough precedent to remind them that we are still a nation that has the rule of law.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Pence would be in and would certainly gain office in 2020.
    Why would 2020 be a lock for Pence? Surely even the chaotic scrum of Democrats could eventually throw up a viable opponent with a reasonable chance of defeating him.

The only thing that surprised me about the NYT story is that people are surprised. That kind of financial skulduggery is pretty routine in the world of NY real estate, I believe. Shell companies, kickbacks, tax fraud, etc. And since we're talking about Trump, well, like I say, I'm surprised that anyone is surprised.

And did anyone ever take Trump's self-representation as a business prodigy seriously? Is there anyone left, outside of a small number of true Trump zombies, who doesn't know that lying is his default mode?

Trump's base would love Pence and I don't see that the Dems have any gumption or plan to offer anyone that can defeat that group. In spite of having 3 million more votes, they lost. Strategies have not been learned. I am very discouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I reject that.

Thread Information