Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tax Fraud

I have no problem with being “part of the problem” when I’m being called out for not supporting a profoundly problematic candidate. I think the whole shaming thing only works if you’re willing to cede moral authority to the would-be shame-assigner. You can’t shame the shameless.

Besides, I agree with what Rowan Atkinson said about needing the right to offend to outweigh the right to not be offended if you want a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I have no problem with being “part of the problem” when I’m being called out for not supporting a profoundly problematic candidate. I think the whole shaming thing only works if you’re willing to cede moral authority to the would-be shame-assigner. You can’t shame the shameless.

Besides, I agree with what Rowan Atkinson said about needing the right to offend to outweigh the right to not be offended if you want a free society.
    oh, I probably just tried on the shaming cloak, because so much victimhood is going around these days it seemed handy. I certainly dont FEEL shamed or offended because as you say, who is TT to decide my moral pathway in the matter of voting? She is not a player.

It really bugs me when people, usually my Republican friends, comment on my 3rd party vote, but that is more about me losing patience with their limited view to the win of today when I would like them to expand their thinking toward building alternatives down the road to the entrenched two parties.

so “oppression” isnt really the right word, but “marginalizing” 3rd party people is a better way to describe it. And as we know from numerous lectures about victimhood, marginalization is a tool of oppression.

My family has a colorful history of voting for marginal candidates--Ross Perot, Shirley Chisholm, Jesse Jackson, John Anderson...There are probably others. I've gotten that out of my system now, as the stakes are entirely too high to "make a statement."

I’m beginning to come to the conclusion that the stakes may be too high to continue in the existing party track. If the GOP evolves from the sort of traditional constitutionalist conservative party it became in the late seventies to some sort of nationalist protectionist party, I may no longer have a home there. And the Democrats seem to be moving further away from what used to be understood as liberalism to a sort of faction-brokering, increasingly authoritarian statist party that someone like Hubert Humphrey wouldn’t recognize, I have to wonder about the future.

I am hoping this recent travesty plus the entire shit show by the Republicans will bring out voters in droves.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I am hoping this recent travesty plus the entire shit show by the Republicans will bring out voters in droves.
    I think it will. I've read that this weeks polls show an appreciable spike in projected Republican turn-out for the mid-terms. I think in the long term it's good for the country when Democrats do what they do in such public venues.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Where is Lincoln’s first inaugural when we need it?

Have strained passions driven out the better angels of our nature, leaving nothing but crude tribalism?

Yes the Democrats have acted responsibly in regard to the Kavanaugh crap versus the republicans showing that they don’t care about women, what the voters want, etc. They are determined to wreak havoc on this nation. They are making no attempt to disguise it. I am a happy camper.

Yes the Democrats have acted responsibly in regard to the Kavanaugh crap versus the republicans showing that they don’t care about women, what the voters want, etc. They are determined to wreak havoc on this nation. They are making no attempt to disguise it. I am a happy camper.
    Thanks, every little bit helps.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Even if you’re right, I agree with the guy who said “innocent until proven guilty is a pretty good hill to die on.”

Thread Information