Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent fasting

I agree with ApatheticNoMore; intermittent fasting is much easier than dieting/calorie counting/white knuckling it, and the potential benefits are impressive. Gin Stephens has written a couple of readable books on it. You get a lot of the benefits of keto (including ketosis) within a less restrictive framework, plus you spend less on groceries, and less time cooking and cleaning up. Win-win.

I get shaky and a headache if I go to long without eating. I count calories 6 days/week. On Saturday I eat what I want.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I get shaky and a headache if I go to long without eating.
    Dh is like this. He also gets dizzy if he goes too long without food. When I tried IF early this year I did really well on it. And it was actually really easy for me. My current meds make fasting problematic though. His theory is that I have the hunter body type and he has the farmer's.
    Last edited by Geila; 11-14-18 at 3:16pm.

I used to get spells of reactive hypoglycemia so bad that T literally couldn't form words. I never got to the passing-out stage, for which I am thankful.
    Those are a distant memory--I think thanks to low-carb eating. I can fast for hours up to a couple of days without any more than a hunger pang or two now.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I get shaky and a headache if I go to long without eating. I count calories 6 days/week. On Saturday I eat what I want.
    How. long is "too long"? I can go all day without eating until dinner, typically. I might get a little hungry, but if I'm too busy to eat I just put it in the back of my mind until I can get around to making dinner. A small handful of nuts tides me over, and coffee or tea. When I moderate long days, I notice my colleagues and clients are always very kindly concerned about my eating. But I prefer, when I'm working all day, to not eat at all. Eating is a nuisance or a distraction on a busy workday. And not eating doesn't seem to affect me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Usually 5 hours is too long. I especially need lunch. I am able to go longer if I have had a decent lunch.

I do well enough physically fasting at the time. I find it hard psychologically when working though (ok the exception to some degree is when I had the most rote mindless stress-less job, still easier when not working though).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    I could be way off here, but my first reaction to the WW idea is that WW for UL is likely to be a lot like me trying to use this place as support to deal with my hoarding issues (summary - it went badly and sucked.) I think he is better off in OA. They are very different approaches to food.
    I don’t know what OA does at meetings and what their approach is.

I will say that my experience with Weight Watchers is that when working the program I am super focused on food because I have to be have food around that works for the plan . I cook more. The meetings are pretty obsessed with food – approaches to it, work with it, Shopping for it, Tricks and strategies.

OA is a spiritual approach. All 12 step programs are. They require a commitment to the others in the group. It will involve service to others, even if it is just listening and caring about them.
    WW is not a spiritual approach and the idea is that you can go and work on yourself.
    While you work on yourself in a 12 step program, they do operate in a spiritual dimension and see the underlying problems as spiritual ones.
    I don't think WW does that, or it didn't the last time I went to a meeting.
    So there are big differences in the programs, and probably what you work on.
    It's like A A, which OA is based on--the idea is that the drinking is a symptom of your problem, more than the problem itself, but you have to stop drinking to address the problem.

Thread Information