Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent fasting

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Interesting. How long have you been doing this?

5 or 6 weeks and it is going fine. No breakfast and no eating after 6 pm for me.

I have to stick to high protein otherwise I am so hungry. Hard boiled eggs are great. They always fill me up for hours and stabilize my blood sugar.

You need to read the book. It’s too much to try to summarize.

Nice summary Steve. And there’s a lot more in the book. Data based stuff on why BMI diets resolutions weight loss exercise ..... don’t work.

the focus on weight loss is what has totally messed us all up.

What I like about both LCHF and IF is that they keep insulin and cravings low. I'm in no way a fan of traditional diets; I can only white-knuckle it so long.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 10-5-18 at 12:19pm.

6 days a week I eat 1600 calories a day and the 7th day I eat whatever I want. I also get at least 10k/steps a day. I lost 40lbs doing this and have kept it off for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post

Best thing we can do is stop focusing on food, exercise, calories, weight.
    So you don't spend much time thinking about food, exercise, calories, or your weight and then you become slim and trim? Sign me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post

the focus on weight loss is what has totally messed us all up.
    But what if you want to actually lose weight?

Here is a great article I saw posted by a friend of mine (a former anorexic) on Facebook and I was going to download it I liked it so much, but then I didn't, and I miraculously was able to pull the title out of my you-know-what right now. I think it does a great job of encapsulating the complexity of obesity and its complicity of our culture. (Not that you are obese, UL--I wouldn't know. But I think that it's true what Tammy says--we are chasing the wrong dog when it comes to a focus on micromanaging our diets.

https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/...sity-is-wrong/

It's a really long article but worth the read. Here are a couple of excerpts

For more than a decade now, researchers have found that the quality of our food affects disease risk independently of its effect on weight. Fructose, for example, appears to damage insulin sensitivity and liver function more than other sweeteners with the same number of calories. People who eat nuts four times a week have 12 percent lower diabetes incidence and a 13 percent lower mortality rate regardless of their weight. All of our biological systems for regulating energy, hunger and satiety get thrown off by eating foods that are high in sugar, low in fiber and injected with additives. And which now, shockingly, make up 60 percent of the calories we eat.

Draining this poison from our trillion-dollar food system is not going to happen quickly or easily. Every link in the chain, from factory farms to school lunches, is dominated by a Mars or a Monsanto or a McDonald’s, each working tirelessly to lower its costs and raise its profits. But that’s still no reason to despair. There’s a lot we can do right now to improve fat people’s lives—to shift our focus for the first time from weight to health and from shame to support.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Read the book

Thread Information