Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent fasting

Hunger is coming back now, not in full force yet, but it is returning. I keep thinking about hard boiled eggs, of all things! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Hunger is coming back now, not in full force yet, but it is returning. I keep thinking about hard boiled eggs, of all things! lol
    Well, there's protein and fat in those, unlike the breakfast you had. Blood-glucose levels fluctuating in a wide range will make you feel hungry even if your body does not need to eat. Blood-glucose levels depend on carbohydate intake. Oatmeal, apples, honey -- nothing but carbs (and a little fiber). Even some peanut butters have a surprising amount of sugar in them.

Everyone is different, of course, but you might want to try spending your 500 calories on hardboiled eggs, tuna, chicken, and salads or steamed (non-starchy) vegetables. Filling and they won't swing your blood glucose so wide.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Well, there's protein and fat in those, unlike the breakfast you had. Blood-glucose levels fluctuating in a wide range will make you feel hungry even if your body does not need to eat. Blood-glucose levels depend on carbohydate intake. Oatmeal, apples, honey -- nothing but carbs (and a little fiber). Even some peanut butters have a surprising amount of sugar in them.

Everyone is different, of course, but you might want to try spending your 500 calories on hardboiled eggs, tuna, chicken, and salads or steamed (non-starchy) vegetables. Filling and they won't swing your blood glucose so wide.
    It was worse before I ate lunch. It is not as bad now.

But yes, hard boiled eggs will be eaten, one, maybe two, on my next fasting day. I definitely yearn for one. I feel like I could eat 4 or 5 right now. haha

Oatmeal fills me up for a long time. Probably different for everyone.

Welp, I made it through the first day of fasting. 10am-12pm was the toughest. Then there was another hour or so in the evening that was challenging. Also for about a half hour later at night I had a surge of ravenous urges. Other than that, I felt fine. Hunger did not totally nag at me.

https://www.amazon.com/Body-Truth-Sc.../dp/B00XIY3CGY

I recently read that book.
    Dieting doesn’t work.
    Denying ourselves backfires.
    95% of people who lose weight gain it back plus more.
    The worst thing we can do is diet.
    It resets our metabolism lower.

Additionally, on a mental and emotional level, thinking about not eating makes us want to eat more.

Best thing we can do is stop focusing on food, exercise, calories, weight.

This was a great book.

I am trying to work out before I break my fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post

Best thing we can do is stop focusing on food, exercise, calories, weight.
    How does one lose weight by this method?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    How does one lose weight by this method?
    The idea is that eating and exertion are so well-integrated into your life that you no longer need to schedule or even think about them. There is a school that believes if you really eat only when you're hungry (not because "it's lunchtime" or you're bored or stressed or everyone around you is eating) and eat real food (most of the time), stopping when you feel full, you don't need to worry about food and calories. If your lifestyle supports a decent amount of movement (maybe you can walk everywhere you go or your job is very physical or you participate [almost-]daily in some form of better-than-moderate exercise, then moving is so automatic that you don't need to match effort with caloric intake, etc.).

You also don't lose lots of weight with this method, but you don't really need to; you should be near your target as it is. But it's not easy for most people to do all that; hence the popularity of all kinds of diet plans and exercise programs.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information