Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent fasting

Quote Originally Posted by luna92 View Post
    Good luck Ultralight and I hope it works well for you.
    Thanks. Fasting again today. I weighed in at my biometric screening yesterday. 199 elbeez! Holy fat guy!

BP is high too. Apparently 5:2 will bring down the BP and the weight, if the research holds true.

This is my second week of 5:2 fasting. I ought to see results by the end of week five.

Then there's this: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/09/h...-st=1539182227

The medical community seems amazed at evidence that type 2 diabetes is readily reversible/remissible with the proper diet. I guess they haven't been paying attention. Or maybe they'd rather just sell drugs.

In my family everyone on my mom’s side of the family gets HBP fairly young despite being fit, exercising and eating well. So it really depends. My husband in 1 year was not even pre-diabetic and had diabetes a year later despite walking 20k/steps a day and losing 40 lbs. The doctor thought the test was wrong and had him wait 2 months and repeat it before putting him on medication. Ironically I was not overweight until put on medications for HBP and too fast erratic heartbeat which slowed down my metabolism and also make me tired. The alternative however was to probably have a stroke. I have no doubt that much illness is lifestyle related but not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Then there's this: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/09/h...-st=1539182227

The medical community seems amazed at evidence that type 2 diabetes is readily reversible/remissible with the proper diet. I guess they haven't been paying attention. Or maybe they'd rather just sell drugs.
    Jane, you and I can argue about the proper diet, but I am 100% in agreement. When DH cut out carbs to get into his kilt for DS/DIL wedding, he went from full-blown diabetic to pre-diabetic--in only 3 months!!! And the only thing he changed was diet.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Jane, you and I can argue about the proper diet, but I am 100% in agreement. When DH cut out carbs to get into his kilt for DS/DIL wedding, he went from full-blown diabetic to pre-diabetic--in only 3 months!!! And the only thing he changed was diet.
    I'm convinced there is no one diet for everyone, but most type 2 diabetics are hypersensitive to carbohydrates, and most likely to the "many small meals" nostrum put forth by nutritionists, as well.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! There's just too much money in how diabetes is treated currently. Who wants to stop the gravy train?

Before insulin was common and wonder drugs like Januvia were invented, the standard diabetic diet was very low in carbohydrates. The current diet recommended by the American Diabetes Association is the carbohydrate equivalent of telling people with severe peanut allergies that it's okay to dig into the jar of peanut butter because there's an EpiPen nearby.

I'm convinced there is no one diet for everyone, but most type 2 diabetics are hypersensitive to carbohydrates, and most likely to the "many small meals" nostrum put forth by nutritionists, as well.
    Based on the research I've done over the past year to manage my own Type 2 diabetes, the key to managing the severe side effects of diabetes is to keep blood glucose levels low and within a narrow range. "Carb up and shoot up" is a terrible way to handle Type 2 diabetes. So is "many small meals" if they keep putting the eater on a blood-glucose rollercoaster. Hungry? Eat a real lower-carb/low-GI meal. A little peckish? Eat a snack that won't spike your blood glucose (as a 100-calorie packet of anything or something loaded with artificial sweeteners will).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

This is my third fast day. I am still mostly enjoying the fasting. Today I opted for carrot sticks, celery, two hard boiled eggs, and two small apples for lunch. Probably about 400 calories, so a bit low for my fast day lunch. But still a reasonable meal.

My husband is also eating low carb and not having a bunch of small meals.

Back to fasting today after my man cold. So far so food. I had a couple hard boiled eggs, carrot sticks, an avocado, and a small apple for lunch. Believe it or not it filled me up. I could have eaten a second small apple. But I did not "have room" for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    So far so food.
    Freudian slip?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information