Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent fasting

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    UL, have you noticed any other differences? Are you able to keep alert at work, or is your stamina okay? Clothes fitting differently?
    My mental fog clears up during the fasting day and the day after. I am fine to work, exercise, socialize, etc. while fasting. But I do get waves of nagging hunger. They come and go.

I have not lost any weight.

Clothes still fit like usual as I have not lost weight.

I broke my fast this morning with a bowl of black bean soup and a cut from a filet of wild salmon.

Fasting is a lot harder when I cannot say to myself: "Tomorrow I will go to the Indian buffet."

I do not understand your obsession with fasting, although I dont think it is necessarily a bad thing. Then you talk about “fasting” but you eat, what, cereal? Or 400 calories of something. That isnt fasting, that is crash dieting. Maybe the label doesnt really matter, but fasting to lose weight isnt really a smart thing ro do.

Because I sense that you don’t have a good overview of how to eat in a healthy way, I am going to suggest the Weight Watcher’s program. It is basically good instruction and how to eat in a normal, healthy way. It emphasizes quality calories and defined portion control for you. It offers peer support in meetings an online discussions. I do weight watchers off and on, currently I am off but will have to get on again soon.

It is a proprietary system so they charge you a weekly fee, and they have their secret formula for how they assign “points” values to food. Essentially their points system is a shorthand for counting calories.

if you try it, I would try the in person meetings. Most of the participants will be chubby women the age of your mother, somthey will welcome a male perspective. The meetings depend so much in the leader.
    I got bored with the last leader and need to find a new one.

I just count calories.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I do not understand your obsession with fasting, although I dont think it is necessarily a bad thing. Then you talk about “fasting” but you eat, what, cereal? Or 400 calories of something. That isnt fasting, that is crash dieting. Maybe the label doesnt really matter, but fasting to lose weight isnt really a smart thing ro do.
    Are you familiar with any of the studies on IF? Powerful stuff. Read up on it. Here are a few highlights:
    -Fasting puts your body into repair mode, all the way to the cellular level
    -Fasting improves insulin sensitivity
    -Fasting improves mental acuity
    -Fasting works for weight loss

The 5:2 IF plan includes one "mini meal" of about 500 calz in the middle of your "fast day." Is it a pure fast? No, so split hairs if you like.

You claim that fasting to lose weight isn't really a smart thing to do. How do you know this? I am willing to bet that you are totally unfamiliar with the research studies on IF.

Because I sense that you don’t have a good overview of how to eat in a healthy way, I am going to suggest the Weight Watcher’s program. It is basically good instruction and how to eat in a normal, healthy way. It emphasizes quality calories and defined portion control for you. It offers peer support in meetings an online discussions. I do weight watchers off and on, currently I am off but will have to get on again soon.
    I actually do know what is healthy and what is not. Raw and steamed veggies are very healthy. Raw, whole fruit is healthy. Legumes and whole grains are pretty darned good. Wild salmon is healthy.

I get it.

An believe me: I know a large pep pizza is bad for you.

It is a proprietary system so they charge you a weekly fee, and they have their secret formula for how they assign “points” values to food. Essentially their points system is a shorthand for counting calories.
    How well has WW worked for you?

if you try it, I would try the in person meetings. Most of the participants will be chubby women the age of your mother, somthey will welcome a male perspective. The meetings depend so much in the leader.
    I got bored with the last leader and need to find a new one.
    I have nothing in particular against chubby women the age of my mother.

Weight Watchers works for me when I work thevprogram.

But youre right, I dont know about recent fasting research Other than it affecting mental acuity, usually for the good, but not always.

What about the studies that say starvation mode causes your body to hang onto fat cells or some such thing? Has that old chestnut been tossed out then in weight loss research?

Weight Watchers works for me when I work thevprogram.

But youre right, I dont know about recent fasting research Other than it affecting mental acuity, usually for the good, but not always.

What about the studies that say starvation mode causes your body to hang onto fat cells or some such thing? Has that old chestnut been tossed out then in weight loss research?
    Counting calories works if you actually count them and only eat the number that your body needs.

IF is different than starving.

But I realize I can't fast on a Thursday and then pound 12 slices of pizza on Friday. haha

I could be way off here, but my first reaction to the WW idea is that WW for UL is likely to be a lot like me trying to use this place as support to deal with my hoarding issues (summary - it went badly and sucked.) I think he is better off in OA. They are very different approaches to food.

Yea fasting has advantages for health over low calorie dieting, for one thing you are actually less likely to develop nutritional deficiencies, it doesn't happen with IF. And of course hunger say two days a week if that's what one did is a lot easier to manage than chronic hunger engendered by daily calorie counting - hunger that never fricken stops, I know I've done that foolishness. Fasting isn't like that, hunger comes and goes when fasting, and then on your non-fasting days is blessedly absent (actually is reduced over what it would be otherwise in my experience, even a day of fasting will probably reduce hunger for the next week, well just my experience).

Whether it works for weight loss is kind of a personal question, depends on if one can keep it up regularly enough (emotionally, psychologically) and if they think it is best to keep it up that way (depends on if they have a lot of physical side effects, if so then maybe that much fasting is not for them).

Fasting is also easier to manage if you use food as a crutch as you don't have to always avoid x (whatever x is - potato chips say, I don't know), well that's true and maybe a dark side as it allows some emotional eating or whatever (potato chips when work is stressful) but it's also for some people more doable though.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information