Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent fasting

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    OA is a spiritual approach. All 12 step programs are. They require a commitment to the others in the group. It will involve service to others, even if it is just listening and caring about them.
    WW is not a spiritual approach and the idea is that you can go and work on yourself.
    While you work on yourself in a 12 step program, they do operate in a spiritual dimension and see the underlying problems as spiritual ones.
    I don't think WW does that, or it didn't the last time I went to a meeting.
    So there are big differences in the programs, and probably what you work on.
    It's like A A, which OA is based on--the idea is that the drinking is a symptom of your problem, more than the problem itself, but you have to stop drinking to address the problem.
    Ok, thank you for this clear explanation! I always knew about the “higher power “ aspect in the 12 step programs and I figured that I could work with that if I ever needed to, though I am not a believer. It isnt hard to think about a “ higher power” in an abstract way, one I can get behind.

But the way you describe the 12 step program as centering on underlying spiritual problems, hmmm. That philosophymight be hard for me to go all in on.

I wonder how UL is surviving in this spiritual environment.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

You define the spiritual environment for yourself. So, UL said that he is using the group as his "higher power" which a lot of secularists typically do. It's basically saying we can't do it all ourselves, and we trust the help and guidance we receive--from whatever or whomever that may be
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ok, thank you for this clear explanation! I always knew about the “higher power “ aspect in the 12 step programs and I figured that I could work with that if I ever needed to, though I am not a believer. It isnt hard to think about a “ higher power” in an abstract way, one I can get behind.

But the way you describe the 12 step program as centering on underlying spiritual problems, hmmm. That philosophymight be hard for me to go all in on.

I subscribe the the Sam Harris definition of spiritual. I have internal, subjective experiences -- like when meditating or fishing or fasting.

And I have always believe in a higher power: The State!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    You define the spiritual environment for yourself. So, UL said that he is using the group as his "higher power" which a lot of secularists typically do. It's basically saying we can't do it all ourselves, and we trust the help and guidance we receive--from whatever or whomever that may be
    yes, that view I could accept and participate in.

Weight reduction is certainly a benefit of intermittent fasting, but it is not the only one. It is not just that consuming fewer calories drops your calorie intake below your calorie outgo from activity. It also puts your metabolism into a different state, which has other benefits. Unhealthy processes in your body are diminished and restorative processes are enhanced. Not only is your body lighter, it is also functioning better.

Quote Originally Posted by Centenarian View Post
    Weight reduction is certainly a benefit of intermittent fasting, but it is not the only one. It is not just that consuming fewer calories drops your calorie intake below your calorie outgo from activity. It also puts your metabolism into a different state, which has other benefits. Unhealthy processes in your body are diminished and restorative processes are enhanced. Not only is your body lighter, it is also functioning better.
    Amen to that!

I am still fasting on Mon and Thu each week, but no weight loss. Other benefits are still there.

I truly find that surprising, when I tried fasting 2 days a week I lost weight (I couldn't sustain the 2 day a week thing though). Unless your binging otherwise, I guess everyone's body really is different.
    Trees don't grow on money

So I did 16:8 intermittent fasting from Jan. to present, with a couple lapses, such as for my vacation in May. But after months of eating between noon and 8pm I lost zero elbeez.

So in July I am going to do an eating window between 6am and 2pm -- so breakfast and lunch. And see how it works...

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    So I did 16:8 intermittent fasting from Jan. to present, with a couple lapses, such as for my vacation in May. But after months of eating between noon and 8pm I lost zero elbeez.

So in July I am going to do an eating window between 6am and 2pm -- so breakfast and lunch. And see how it works...
    Assuming you really do have lbs to lose, you are eating too much.

magical systems of fasting times and windows for eating and etc. will not change the fact that you are consuming too much.

Thread Information