Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Suzie says you need 5 mil to RE

Our expenditures are low because...our health insurance is low ($250 a month for DH) and we have had few medical expenditures. Medicare kicks in next year so not sure just yet how costs will rise. We own only one car. For fun, we try new places to eat out. Take hikes in new places. Local festivals. Art classes. Cooking new recipes from scratch. Extensive gardening. Field trips with volunteer groups. Our last big trip (to British Columbia) was two years ago so it's time for another.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Our expenditures are low because...our health insurance is low ($250 a month for DH) and we have had few medical expenditures. Medicare kicks in next year so not sure just yet how costs will rise. We own only one car. For fun, we try new places to eat out. Take hikes in new places. Local festivals. Art classes. Cooking new recipes from scratch. Extensive gardening. Field trips with volunteer groups. Our last big trip (to British Columbia) was two years ago so it's time for another.
    I admire you! Sounds like we could aspire to that type of life. As we get older I see DH being a little more "set in his ways." He truly can't see the reason for going off the island AT ALL. I'll say, "let's go to Burlington and see a movie." And he'll say, "Why? I don't want to leave my wee hoose." He doesn't mind if I venture into town to see the kids or go shopping, but he's not interested. I've said, "Next summer we should go for a weekend in Southern Vermont." (We have friends and tons of memories in Southern Vermont.). And he said, "Why?"

I would like a little more in the way of fun, although I can't say I'd be totally unhappy not doing much more. But to the point of the living on SS/pension, if I were to comply with DH, I could definitely do it. As for myself, I would like to travel a little more--even venturing off the island might be something to aspire to at this point.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    As we get older I see DH being a little more "set in his ways." He truly can't see the reason for going off the island AT ALL. I'll say, "let's go to Burlington and see a movie." And he'll say, "Why? I don't want to leave my wee hoose." He doesn't mind if I venture into town to see the kids or go shopping, but he's not interested. I've said, "Next summer we should go for a weekend in Southern Vermont." (We have friends and tons of memories in Southern Vermont.). And he said, "Why?"
    That simply may be his reaction to your move and impending relocation. For some people, it doesn't feel like you're setting roots if you don't stop in one place for a while. When I left Corporate America I became a real homebody for a little while as I adjusted to my new circumstances. Maybe DH is (at least a little) the same.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I admire you! Sounds like we could aspire to that type of life. As we get older I see DH being a little more "set in his ways." He truly can't see the reason for going off the island AT ALL. I'll say, "let's go to Burlington and see a movie." And he'll say, "Why? I don't want to leave my wee hoose." He doesn't mind if I venture into town to see the kids or go shopping, but he's not interested. I've said, "Next summer we should go for a weekend in Southern Vermont." (We have friends and tons of memories in Southern Vermont.). And he said, "Why?"

I would like a little more in the way of fun, although I can't say I'd be totally unhappy not doing much more. But to the point of the living on SS/pension, if I were to comply with DH, I could definitely do it. As for myself, I would like to travel a little more--even venturing off the island might be something to aspire to at this point.
    c’mon, two years ago your DH could see no reason to sell your NJ house, he wasnt gonna budge. Now he isnt gonna budge from The Vermont island? That is kinda cute and kinda funny and a little bit annoying. But he CAN be moved at some point.

I@: glad he has taken so thoroughly to the island!

This is one of the few times our HI didn’t go up. I go on Medicare in July but because DH is on my insurance and is 5 years younger we have to keep the expensive insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    c’mon, two years ago your DH could see no reason to sell your NJ house, he wasnt gonna budge. Now he isnt gonna budge from The Vermont island? That is kinda cute and kinda funny and a little bit annoying. But he CAN be moved at some point.

I@: glad he has taken so thoroughly to the island!
    Yeah, he's a pain in the butt .

But it's all falling into place now.

Steve, thanks, for that perspective as well.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    To make it work we had to make cuts in most areas of our lives. We could no longer afford our cell phone plan for instance. The one cheap enough only worked in cities. We had to be on a strict grocery budget. Gone were eating out and going to events. HC taking a fourth of our before tax income was too much. If we ever have to cut back the vacations would go before giving up local events, etc. We could also take our RV for a few weeks a state away and stay in one spot to save money versus cruising or doing long car trips. I thought it was going to be easier than what it was. We stuck it out for a year to get the real feeling.
    ..so, Teacher Terry, if your income is $40k and your comfort level is 60-70k, not sure what your solution is? You achieved living on $40k for a year, found that it pinched a bit (I would feel the same) and so--are you continuing to work full time? I think I thought you were in fact already retired? Just not sure what the strategy is for bringing in the extra money to make the 60-70k lifestyle possible? These are exactly the issues I'm trying to figure out now in what might or might not be my last year before retirement, so I appreciate any insight you can share.

I teach a online college class and make 22k/year and another 3-5k consulting so mostly don’t have to touch our savings. My husband picks up some consulting gigs when he finds them.

I teach a online college class and make 22k/year and another 3-5k consulting so mostly don’t have to touch our savings. My husband picks up some consulting gigs when he finds them.
    I have a nostalgic fondness for online classes; my internship was spent editing/rewriting coursework.

Got it! Good for you you!!! You have a terrific strategy. I'm looking into similar.

Thread Information