Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzie says you need 5 mil to RE

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Suzie says you need 5 mil to RE

Interesting article

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...of2&yptr=yahoo

we retired early fifties and did not have anywhere near that. If you have a paid off home, like to cook instead of going out, read free library books , hike and so on, don’t mind used cars for instance, how much do you really need?

i had two neighbors that lived solely on social security in their modest paid for house. The median income isn’t much more than the mid fifties. There is no way you will amass that much money of you are anywhere close to the median income.

Hogwash.

That seems silly!

In the article She say that if you have five or 10 or $15 million you can live like her. A comment after the article says “yeah those private planes and yahts are expensive.“
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-4-18 at 5:09pm.

Suze is a twit!

No retiree I've ever known has had close to that--yet amazingly, they've all enjoyed perfectly adequate lives post-employment. I guess such BS sells investment vehicles and counseling.

I lost respect for her when she was on late night TV all the time..........one size does not fit all.

5 mil as in money? I second your Hogwash. I do, however, have 5 mil trash bags. I am retired. We have no investments, we have a small savings account, a mortgage and all of our bills get paid. We are happy with that, do not need more.

That's hilarious. We recently had this discussion on this forum, and to me, FIRE means you can do what you want, not what you have to do. So that translates into being able to take low-wage employment you enjoy or start a small side business. FIRE doesn't mean sitting on your duff for 50-60 years.

I think she was projecting the income needs of a 30-something who retires early--and never works again--and wants to maintain a certain standard of living. As for a regular 50/60 retiree-5M seems totally unnecessary.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I found it funny too.

Yppej
    She was to have a special Monday on OWN but it never aired. I guess I didn't miss anything.

I guess I better go back to work, and have been fooling myself the past 20 years....

Thread Information