Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wall color?

I have found over time that Benjamin Moore colors are more "saturated" than other brands. Perhaps like expensive makeup, the pigments are ground finer. Another thing is that sites like Sherwin Williams let you download photos of a room and try out different colors.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Gosh, nothing is more personal than color! The happiest room in our home is the family room which is painted a special yellow that we searched high and low for and which is perfect--for us! The ceiling and trim are a creamy warm white. Everyone loves this room--it always feels sunny and warm even in the midst of winter....makes ya smile.

Our bedroom is painted a pale coral--I used the inside of a conch shell as my guide, and the trim is a beige-y cream, following, again, the conch shell. This scheme is quite serene and peaceful.

I've found another serene color is a light sage green -- it feels like being in a fern-y meadow.

But these are my colors--you'll find your own. I like the colors of nature best....
    peaceful, easy feeling

Yellow is a great color but not in bedrooms. It can cause nightmares which go away if the room color is changed. People also fight more in a room painted red. It is not calming but just the opposite.

Our bedroom is a pale sunshine yellow and I love it. It's been that color for 40 years, so it hasn't been a problem for us. Big Bird yellow....that could make you never sleep.

THe thing that fascinates me is how color seems so different depending on the particulars of a given room. THe amount of light it gets, the furnishings, etc.

Our current place is all still painted the stark white that the builder painted it. It seems to work in the space though because we get abundant sunshine through the whole wall windows facing the south on both floors so the walls are just kind of invisible. In my NYC apartment I never got direct sunshine and i found that a single maroon wall in the living room really cheered the place up compared to having all 4 walls off white. Very non-intuitive, at least to me, but a friend talked me into it and once it was done I couldn't have been more pleased.

For us the more important home color is the dark beige carpet. It's very similar to the color of cat yack which makes cleanup of that a breeze. Important since one of our cats has, for his entire life, channeled Karen Carpenter.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

For us the more important home color is the dark beige carpet. It's very similar to the color of cat yack which makes cleanup of that a breeze. Important since one of our cats has, for his entire life, channeled Karen Carpenter.
    We once decorated around our yellow lab who shed relentlessly. We had gold leather couches, jute rugs... anything that we re-did we re-did to minimize the sight of yellow fur and dander.

Then we got a black dog.. And when we redid our family room floors, we chose the darkest color Pergo we could find. Not a great testament of my housekeeping skills, when I feel better hiding stuff than cleaning it, but that's how it is.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    We once decorated around our yellow lab who shed relentlessly. We had gold leather couches, jute rugs... anything that we re-did we re-did to minimize the sight of yellow fur and dander.

Then we got a black dog.. And when we redid our family room floors, we chose the darkest color Pergo we could find. Not a great testament of my housekeeping skills, when I feel better hiding stuff than cleaning it, but that's how it is.
    I remember holding up the dust pan after sweeping my white kitchen floor for the 4th time one day and telling my husband; "This. This is color I want the floor to be."
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I used to work with a woman who always wore black clothes. (This WAS after all, the 90's in NYC) Her husband did as well. They had 4 cats and every day when she got to work she'd get out a roll of packing tape and use it to get the cat hair off of her clothes. She swore that as their cats died they were going to replace them with black ones.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Our bedroom is a pale sunshine yellow and I love it. It's been that color for 40 years, so it hasn't been a problem for us. Big Bird yellow....that could make you never sleep.
    I too had a pale yellow bedroom growing up. Actually it's still a lighter version of the same color and I sleep really well when I go home to visit. I did have issues with sleep walking while growing up but that started in a vibrant purple bedroom and continued well into the yellow bedroom.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I am sure color doesn’t effect everyone the same way. Just good to know if you suddenly start having nightmares.

Thread Information