Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wall color?

There isn't a white wall to be found in our home. I was going for color in a outside/inside kind of way. We have a look coming into our house that is completely different than when you get to the back which is all glass looking out into a large green space. A lot of natural rock, wood and greens. The walls of most of the house are a strange gray that changes depending on the light coming through the windows at different times of the day. It can look blue or it can look green but hardly ever what you would call gray. We have a large river rock fireplace so it picks up the colors from that. We have a pumpkin orange feature wall in the family room that goes great with that gray color. Our bedroom is a deep deep purple, so deep it doesn't even register as purple at first.

I prefer neutral colors, however the last few years I have considered repainting a bunch and making one wall a bolder shade, where I put all the pictures and such. (focus wall)

In all the houses my parents owned, the living room was done in a coral shade of wallpaper--I remember our house at the beach had a bamboo motif against a slightly faded shade. If, no when I get my next place, I want that color, or some variation of it. I devoutly pray it doesn't become the fad du jour by that time.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 10-7-18 at 1:37pm.

We've always been neutral. i call it builder beige. Then years ago, (10?) hubby was forced off for a week as he had hit the ceiling for accumulated PTO. So, I came home and our family room is half orangy-brown and half dark dusty blue? I don't know how else to describe it. It's awesome and I love it. (our football team is Blue and Orange so that what drove him). our carpet is neutral grey and our furniture is charcoal grey leather and it all works!

I say you do what you want. If you ever sell you can give a painting allowance or offer to paint it their color choice.

Our vacation home has pastels - yellow guest bedroom, periwinkle bath, true baby blue living room and the master is called wasabi - it's a bright spring green. The kitchen is painted white, but the color theme is actually tan and red.

Our full time home has been through various paintings of colonial white. After living the pops of color up north, I convinced hubby to go with color. So far, kitchen is sage green, bath is grey and living room is cappuccino. I've noticed that the cappuccino has lost some of the deepness to the color, likely due to exposure to sunlight? I'd like to repaint one wall as a focus, but the color I like clashes with the sage and the rooms are adjacent. Until I reconcile that issue, we are stuck.

go for it! You don't have to paint the ceilings; white ceiling with colored walls looks fine, and it makes the job of painting much easier. I like having all the walls the same color throughout the house..my color is kind of almond/sand. But you might like different colors everywhere; your colors sound nice. If you wanted to pick one color, you could do different shades (or do they call them tints?) of the color - you know, how they come on the paint card.

I have a lot of color but then again we made our living as artists so, yeah, color. But I'm considering toning it down a bit now. I have 2 red walls in my dining area and the kitchen is a light brown while the cabinets gypsy teal (lower) and crisp white (top). With all the artwork it ties together. I actually painted the hall bath from a dark Tuscan yellow to bright white and I'm loving it so I may move towards white more. The laundry is a light green and it still feels fresh. Our bedroom is a dark brown and with the white molding and other whites it's crisp yet inviting and I sleep well since I went dark brown. Other bedrooms are red or gypsy teal both with white. The living room is a light gold that changes color throughout the day.

The fun thing about paint is as long as you can muster the energy it's just a can of paint away from a change.

I'm currently debating the exterior. We just got new windows and had to go white instead of the black we had. It completely changes the look but I think I'm liking it. Actually brightened up the full covered front porch area. Now do I want to change from the dark brown cabin in the woods look to something different like greens or even navy blues?
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I'm impressed by the cool color choices!

I'm going to the hardware store today to pick up some paint chips. I used to have one of the fan decks - that was cool! It got lost in the move to Oregon.

check out "Sea Salt" I think it is a Benjamin Moore color. Very nice.

Yppej
    I have adobe type colors as I like Southwestern style.

Thread Information