Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyborg romance

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Could be office phone, could be friend's phone. Yes, it shouldn't matter in an ideal world, but we live in a time where almost everyone has a personal phone and that is often the expectation.
    So when I explain that I don't have a phone I put it in context and give it some history.

I explain that I am a minimalist, I practice voluntary simplicity. I tell them how I got rid of it back in 2014. I tell them how the salesman at the phone store that I bought my home phone from said: "You'll be back in a week to get your smart phone back!"

So it becomes very believable. Easy to believe.

And yet...

While I have dated quite a bit since then it is only in the past month that women have outright turned me down because I don't have a mobile phone and said as much. And it has happened twice.
    So what is YOUR explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    And yet...

So what is YOUR explanation?
    About not being a Cellulite? I explain that it was annoying me. I also say that I prefer to talk to a real person and to pay attention to them.

I am finding this very interesting.

i have a cell phone primarily because I have a husband. He likes being able to reach me. I like being able to contact him when I am not at home, because due to our choice of living location, if I leave home I am pretty much gone all day. It is nice to be able to let him know when I am running late or ask if he needs anything at the grocery store. I like knowing that I could call for assistance if my car broke down. But, my phone is a phone (and a pocket watch) I use it to make and receive calls and to check the time. It is small - a large, rectangular pocket watch. I would not like a smart phone because they are too big.

sometimes people text me on my phone, but I rarely text back. Only if the reply is one or two words (will you be home for dinner? “Yes”) or if the situation is important, time critical, and they have let me know they need a response in print (example - Dd is in a meeting, dgs needs to be picked up, she needs to know I am doing it...)

i do have an ipad, which serves as my camera and television, performs the functions of a smartphone that I am lacking and those of a laptop that I need, plus lets me do things like hang out here when I should probably be doing something else....

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I also say that I prefer to talk to a real person and to pay attention to them.
    And yet here you are, engaging often in a Web forum in which you've never met any of us in person and -- except for a few random pictures and avatars -- have no idea what we look like or of our voices or body language. That does not seem to affect materially the way you interact with us.

You don't want a mobile phone. Message received. But please don't act like the other several billion people in the world who find one a useful adjunct to their lives are the ones who are "off". You've made your choice; they've made theirs. Neither is wrong but it's a hard sell to intimate that their choice makes them less human.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    If you Google "would you date someone without a cell phone" there are several Reddit threads that are kind of enlightening.

I googled it because I can't understand why this would be a deal breaker for anyone.
    I think most would think, "I don't want to date this guy without a cell phone because then he'll expect me to give up my phone or use it less and sister that is not happening."

I say this as someone who has a husband who has an old tracfone slide phone and cusses anytime he has to try to text on it and at least once a day I get a lecture about how people spend too much time on their phones...while he's looking at me....on my phone. Dang it even it's 2 pm and its the first time I picked up my phone all day...to look up a recipe to make a meal for him. I don't want that judgement or lecture.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

About not being a Cellulite?
    No, your opinion as to why you think women are rejecting you for this is what I was asking.

Well, all I can say is that if you want to add yet another qualification to your pretty long list of "must-haves" in a potential girlfriend, please go right ahead. It will save lots of women the effort of getting to know you and then realizing that they don't want to be in a relationship with you. No one wants a partner who is sneering at them or their possessions.

I agree with Float On, that women are going to wonder if you will expect them to give up their phones. This is something that comes through in a lot of your posts about relationships. You want a woman who can be a minimalist, but from your posts, I get the impression that you would be the one deciding how much the woman in your life could possess. Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but that's how you come across over the internet. That the minimalism in your home will be decided by you, not your partner.

You seem pretty scornful of people who have cellphones, with your "cyborg*" and "normies" and "real person." So it would be best for all parties if you filtered out cellphone users from the start.

I am also at odds with your definition of cyborg. A cyborg is a human with implanted robotic parts. While I get what you are saying, that some people with cellphones seem to be permanently attached to the phone, not everyone who has a cellphone is. I have a smart phone that I use rarely, but when I have needed it, I have really needed it--like the time my car broke down. Pay phones have been slowly disappearing in the US, and having a cellphone for emergency use, especially if you are a woman, could be a life saver.

I’m married to a cyborg. Her phone is bluetoothed to her hearing aids, she’s got aftermarket knees and some bones held together with screws. I can’t believe my good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I’m married to a cyborg. Her phone is bluetoothed to her hearing aids, she’s got aftermarket knees and some bones held together with screws. I can’t believe my good luck.
    As someone who isn't aging particularly gracefully, I really appreciate this sentiment.

Thread Information