Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toyota 4runner purchase

ApatheticNoMore, I worry that you'll be correct about the hassle I'm facing at the dmv. Several years ago getting the car titled/registered in CA was a huge project that included re-opening my several years deceased mother's estate because CA didn't recognize CO's joint tenancy in common ownership of the car in both my parents' names.

But I was just reading the 'what most inspired you in YMOYL' thread and feel confident that saving this car was the right decision both financially and emotionally even if it ends up being a DMV headache. The DMV headache will be temporary. Honda is forever!

We did it a few times in Wisconsin with no hassle but it was many moons ago

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    does she actually rock climb enough to buy a vehicle for that reason? Wouldn't just getting a rental sometimes makes more sense. Buying a vehicle for one's hobbies just sounds so bizarre (or one thing if one is rich and can afford multiple vehicles I guess).
    She climbs 6 months of the year, mostly indoors.

I suspect that a big part of it is image -- like a rock climber needs a 4runner to look the part.

She does seem to love the vehicle though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post

She does seem to love the vehicle though.
    Mark your planner and ask her again 2 years into those payments.
    I was so glad to pay off our 4-wheel drive truck 8 months early and that was only a $200 payment. I can't imagine a car payment close to my house payment. I know that's what I'm facing with my next car purchase so I'm socking away some savings now so I can pay in full if the Escape will last that long or at least have a solid down payment. I've always bought used but considering new this time around. I've had so many problems with this Escape (that was paid for in cash) that I might appreciate a warranty.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Mark your planner and ask her again 2 years into those payments.
    This is totally something I would do.

I was so glad to pay off our 4-wheel drive truck 8 months early and that was only a $200 payment. I can't imagine a car payment close to my house payment. I know that's what I'm facing with my next car purchase so I'm socking away some savings now so I can pay in full if the Escape will last that long or at least have a solid down payment. I've always bought used but considering new this time around. I've had so many problems with this Escape (that was paid for in cash) that I might appreciate a warranty.
    Good luck!

Back in 2007 when I was climbing the corporate ladder and we were making up for all of our lack in previous years, we purchased 1) a brand new Honda Fit for DH and 2) 9 months later I bought a brand new Toyota Prius.

our combined payments were almost $1000 for 5 years. We paid them off in 2011/2012, and for the last 6 years we have had no car payments (and very minor repair/maintenance bills). I can't imagine putting ourselves in that position again at this stage of our lives. I'm being more frugal with mileage at this point. When I travel on business I rent a car and charge it to the client. I stay put whenever I can. I plan on getting at least 80k miles on my Prius; DH probably won't be that lucky because he tends to do more driving than I do.

Car payments are not fun. I have been doing the Dave Ramsey "car sinking fund" for a while, socking $400 away in on online account, to cover the need for a replacement vehicle.

People don't realize the cost of interest. If you take all that interest (which they don't tell you about when you sign all those loan documents) and then invest it, you are so much better off. It's like winning twice.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I plan on getting at least 80k miles on my Prius; DH probably won't be that lucky because he tends to do more driving than I do.
    80,000 miles is really not that many. Most cars are good for 200,000. Is that really all you can expect of a Prius? Or do you mean that's the point where you want to trade in because you want to? I've always been in the drive it into the ground mode.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Back in 2007 when I was climbing the corporate ladder and we were making up for all of our lack in previous years, we purchased 1) a brand new Honda Fit for DH and 2) 9 months later I bought a brand new Toyota Prius.

our combined payments were almost $1000 for 5 years. We paid them off in 2011/2012, and for the last 6 years we have had no car payments (and very minor repair/maintenance bills). I can't imagine putting ourselves in that position again at this stage of our lives. I'm being more frugal with mileage at this point. When I travel on business I rent a car and charge it to the client. I stay put whenever I can. I plan on getting at least 80k miles on my Prius; DH probably won't be that lucky because he tends to do more driving than I do.

Car payments are not fun. I have been doing the Dave Ramsey "car sinking fund" for a while, socking $400 away in on online account, to cover the need for a replacement vehicle.

People don't realize the cost of interest. If you take all that interest (which they don't tell you about when you sign all those loan documents) and then invest it, you are so much better off. It's like winning twice.
    My dad always paid cash for his cars. He would buy a new car, take care of it well, and drive it for about 10 years. Every time he bought a new car, he started a savings account for the next car, and put what would be a monthly payment in that account. So by the time he needed a new car, he had more than enough money.

We have a 2008 Toyota Corolla with 50k miles and a 2010 Honda Accord with 80k. We plan to drive them until dead which hopefully won’t be until at least 200k. We bought both used. The Honda was certified from the dealer and the Toyota from good friends of mine that were dying. I think of them often. It will probably be another 10 years until we need to buy cars.

80,000 miles is really not that many. Most cars are good for 200,000. Is that really all you can expect of a Prius? Or do you mean that's the point where you want to trade in because you want to? I've always been in the drive it into the ground mode.
    No! I meant to say 80,000 MORE (I have 120k on it now).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information