Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Columbus Day

Here's perspective I haven't seen before. Has anyone else?

https://theoldschoolpatriot.com/columbus-real-history/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Here's perspective I haven't seen before. Has anyone else?

https://theoldschoolpatriot.com/columbus-real-history/
    I’ve often wondered why there isn’t more interest in the long struggle to defend the Christian West from Islam. Sieges like Contantinople, Malta and Vienna. Battles like Tours, Manzikert and Lepanto. The Crusades. The Age of Discovery. The Reconquista. Thomas Jefferson dispatching an expedition to the shores of Tripoli. It would make a great mini-series.
    Last edited by LDAHL; 10-10-18 at 5:07pm.

Yppej
    Wasn't Islamic back in the time of Columbus more learned and tolerant than Christianity?

I grew up in San Francisco, where Columbus Day was/is a Big Deal. It's long been a City holiday. It also, in more recent years, encomasses Fleet Week, with a parade of ships coming in through the Golden Gate, and every pier in town is full, mostly military ships. Then some of the ships are open for touring. The Blue Angels fly a fantastic airshow on the weekend just before Columbus Day.

There is always grumbling about the military cost, and the noise the Blue Angels make, but it is also a Huge money maker for the City. Thousands of people flock in from all around, it is a big party atmosphere, and the money flows pretty easily. Personally, I love it. I think we should get to see some of what our taxes pay for. Many cities have festivals, San Francisco has Fleet Week. It's not so much about "discovering America"' as it is celebrating voyages. ocean and air.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Wasn't Islamic back in the time of Columbus more learned and tolerant than Christianity?
    They were conducting wars of conquest against any unbelievers they could reach as a matter of religious doctrine. They were raiding for slaves and loot throughout the Mediterranean. They were conscripting children as military slaves.

No doubt the ignorant primitives of Europe were wrong to fight back against all that learning and tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    They were conducting wars of conquest against any unbelievers they could reach as a matter of religious doctrine. They were raiding for slaves and loot throughout the Mediterranean. They were conscripting children as military slaves.

No doubt the ignorant primitives of Europe were wrong to fight back against all that learning and tolerance.

Read the Quran. I have read it cover to cover, word for word. Every other page says something or other about "make the unbelievers drink boiling water" or "punish the polytheists" and so on. The Quran is scary stuff. It is scarier than the Old Testament.

Then after the Quran, dig into the Hadith. Frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Here is a suggestion you won't take: Read the Quran.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Read the Quran. I have read it cover to cover, word for word. Every other page says something or other about "make the unbelievers drink boiling water" or "punish the polytheists" and so on. The Quran is scary stuff. It is scarier than the Old Testament.

Then after the Quran, dig into the Hadith. Frightening.
    In some circles, infidel, you are not really reading the Quran if you are not reading it in Arabic.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

Maybe then just less anti-Semitic as they respected all people of the book.

The Catholic Church hardly covered itself in glory what with starting the Crusades, torturing and murdering millions of (mostly) women in the
    witchcraft trials, torturing, murdering, and scattering thousands via the Inquisition, and of course, raping millions of boys, women, girls over the ages.

I believe it was a Catholic priest (Googling: Fray Diego de Landa) who was responsible for burning priceless Mayan codices*. Meanwhile Muslim and Jewish scholars (the same ones that were booted off the Iberian Peninsula) were busy raising the intellectual bar among Spaniards. Their bloody history from wars to torture-killings to slavery and genocide is the reason I have little respect for most religions, not least of all the one of which I am nominally a member.

*A crime right up there with the burning of the library at Alexandria--a murder of carefully curated knowledge.

Thread Information