Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Happy Columbus Day

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    The here’s the problem - Christian nationalists don’t follow the red letters of Jesus in the New Testament. They follow whatever verse from the entire book that supports their agenda. Hence, I fear a move toward a handmaids tale type of world if we ever become officially a Christian nation.
    Go to nations with Sharia. They are like Handmaid's Tale now.

You can point to crazy Christians and say: "You are not really following your good book!"

But when you point to Islamic extremists you cannot say the same. What terrorists do is pretty much condoned or even directed in the Quran and Hadith. That is why Islam needs an "enlightenment."

It's the Old Testament that mirrors the Q'uran. Apparently, Muslims neglected to write a sequal.

Jesus had a lot of good ideas--I particularly like his views of money changers and praying out of sight, but I agree completely about secularism.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It's the Old Testament that mirrors the Q'uran. Apparently, Muslims neglected to write a sequal.
    You're out of your element here. What you are saying is literally untrue if you read the texts.

Yppej
    It's the Old Testament that mirrors the Q'uran. Apparently, Muslims neglected to write a sequel.
    Your chronology could not be more wrong. The Old Testament was written in the 6th to 10th centuries BCE. The Koran was written between 609 and 632 CE.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Your chronology could not be more wrong. The Old Testament was written in the 6th to 10th centuries BCE. The Koran was written between 609 and 632 CE.
    I should have said they're equally brutal; sorry for the confusion.

I should have said they're equally brutal.
    The brutality of the Old Testament is not really going on anymore.

My point is this - the Bible does support crazy stuff. We are just blind to it cause we grew up with it.

Abraham with a knife at his sons throat cause god said so

Gods army killing men children and non virgins but keeping virgins for themselves cause god said so

Jesus saying cut off your hand if it offends you

Paul saying women can’t talk in church

It’s all there ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    My point is this - the Bible does support crazy stuff. We are just blind to it cause we grew up with it.

Abraham with a knife at his sons throat cause god said so

Gods army killing men children and non virgins but keeping virgins for themselves cause god said so

Jesus saying cut off your hand if it offends you

Paul saying women can’t talk in church

It’s all there ...
    Yeah, you should read the Quran and Hadith.

Myself and other atheists are quite aware that the bible is a nuthouse of craziness. The reason people don't know it is that most Christians don't read their bible. I had met three Christians in my whole life who have read the entire bible all the way through. And they are all atheists now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    The brutality of the Old Testament is not really going on anymore.
    http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...323-story.html

Dude. This is horrible. But comparatively insignificant. Go to literally any Islamic nation and dance to George Michael's I Want Your Sex. See how long it takes you to get caned or stoned or worse.

The vast majority of Christian nations, including our own, are quite tolerant of gayness. This is because of the enlightenment and the subsequent secular governments that sprang from it.

Thread Information