Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Happy Columbus Day

I’ve read the Koran and many other religious texts.

And I’ve read the whole bible in about 6-8 different versions front to back, and I’m agnostic. So now you know another person who fits that description. 😄

I suppose everybody is entitled to his own demonology, and we could spend a lot of time arguing over historical horrors. There is certainly plenty to choose from.

Personally I don’t see the establishment of some kind of Christian authoritarian theocracy as a particularly plausible threat. Christianity in fact seems to me to be put on the defensive in recent years. Most of the really effective tyrannies, at least since the French Revolution, seem to have been atheistic in practice or ideology.

I’m also of the opinion that the survival and rise of Western Civilization has by and large been a good thing for the world. I’ll grant that Europeans have often abused people who were perfectly capable of abusing themselves, but I think we are probably in a better place now than if the Aztecs or Turks had dominated the last several centuries.

Thread Information