Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BOTH, and I mean BOTH......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

BOTH, and I mean BOTH......

political parties spend way too much money. It does not matter if the GOP or the Dems are running the show, our elected officials spend too much money. Would not most of us here agree with that much?

It so happens that as a liberal I prefer the Democratic spending priorities/patterns over GOP military above all else spending, but still....too much money is being spent, no?

So here's my question, for both sides of the aisle: What do we do about this? Rob

I have no idea what to do about it but I am tired of the dog and pony show served to us by the politicians and media to serve as a distraction while we are being robbed blind and cannot even make a living in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    So here's my question, for both sides of the aisle: What do we do about this? Rob
    Burn the system to the ground and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Burn the system to the ground and start over.
    There are times I would agree with you here, Bae.......this thought has crossed my mind before. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    I have no idea what to do about it but I am tired of the dog and pony show served to us by the politicians and media to serve as a distraction while we are being robbed blind and cannot even make a living in this country.
    I agree with you 100% Tenngal. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    political parties spend way too much money. It does not matter if the GOP or the Dems are running the show, our elected officials spend too much money. Would not most of us here agree with that much?

It so happens that as a liberal I prefer the Democratic spending priorities/patterns over GOP military above all else spending, but still....too much money is being spent, no?

Well, how do you mean?
    By your first question, I think Alan would agree with you that in office, they spend money both in ways that we would not like and in totals we would not like. Now you and Alan may disagree on what (or even how much), but agree that too much of OUR, the taxpayers money, is spent. So both of you should agree that the less you have to pay in taxes the better. That is both a legal matter as well as a mater of avoiding (not evading) taxes.

But if your talking about campaign finance reform, well then your getting into the area's of free speech and telling people what they can do with their money, and I am guessing even you have a problem with that. (you must fund your local police department)
    Last edited by ToomuchStuff; 10-9-18 at 3:10pm. Reason: hit the keyboard before done typing/posted

I guess you're talking about spending on the Federal level rather than State or Local, right? If so, it might help to remember that the only reason we have a Federal Government is to arbitrate disputes among the states, negotiate with other countries and provide a national defense. So, those should be the priorities, all additional assumed responsibilities were added in order to buy your vote, and you're expensive.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

In fairness to the people we send to office, I think we give them some pretty inconsistent marching orders. We want spending on all kinds of goodies but we want somebody else to pay. We want government in charge of our health care but we don’t want government to tell us what kind of health care we can have. Some of want to be Western Europe, but we would chafe at the taxes and regimentation that would involve.

When people like Paul Ryan try speaking to us like adults, we bang our spoons on our high chairs and tell him how cruel and unfeeling he is.

I think there’s some truth to that line about getting the government we deserve.

I don't know. Campaign finance reform never makes it out of committee. The inmates are ruling the asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I don't know. Campaign finance reform never makes it out of committee. The inmates are ruling the asylum.
    It would pass in the same bill as line item veto, and eliminating congress from being exempt from the same rules as everyone else.
    I think Vegas may be giving odds on that one.

Thread Information