Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiny housing receives potential boom.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tiny housing receives potential boom.

When codes start being standardized, it certainly makes for an easier time getting things approved.
    http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2018...ig-recognition

Wonder how much tiny house will actually happen?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

They are building some here for homeless people. They are also trying to amend the city codes so you could put one in your backyard but I doubt that will pass.

This trend is so stupid it makes my head hurt.

Yes tiny houses are charming, yes they intrique us, but dear god they are not practical for “ the homeless” and wtc etc etc. They exist for rich dilettantes.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This trend is so stupid it makes my head hurt.

Yes tiny houses are charming, yes they intrigue us, but dear god they are not practical for “ the homeless” and wtc etc etc. They exist for rich dilettantes.
    So I'm not understanding why you, IL, think "this is so stupid and it makes your head hurt."

What is wong with smaller living spaces, and collecting less stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    So I'm not understanding why you, IL, think "this is so stupid and it makes your head hurt."

What is wong with smaller living spaces, and collecting less stuff?
    sweetana pretty much covered it. I will add two points:

emphasizing that small living is something I admire and think is a good thing for several reasons, this idea of giving tiny homes to The Homesless is stupid. The cost per square ft of these trendy things is generally high (depends on the build, of course.) but MY main point is: just giving a shelters to Homeless persons will not magically turn their lives around, they are homeless for a reason.

Didnt we learn in Social Work 101 with all of that public housing built decades ago that herding groups of poor and likely mentally ill people into their own corral is not good for them or the surrounding community?

Sure, communities can figure out some kind of housing that is clean, small, and simple, but that would not be new construction of stick built tiny houses.

And finally, as an old house hugger, if a community wishes to spend a crap ton of money on inflated-cost housing for the poor and mentally ill, please renovate exisitng structures.My city has thousands that are falling down, great old Victorians built to a standard that is much higher than this new stuff.

Giving shelter to homeless people often times will automatically turn their life around. There is a reason for why they are homeless, yes and sometimes that reason is they can't afford housing. Then because they are homeless it is hard to get a job (I don't think causation always works the other way) etc..

I am skeptical that tiny houses are the answer though, why is this preferable again to apartments for single room occupancy? I don't think it would be, if the problem is housing costs for the homeless, you want density. For the density of what look like most tiny home communities you could build single story 1 bedrooms! (and have some room to move by merely sharing some walls and not having empty space between dwellings). But if you want more dense you go with single room occupancy, shared kitchen, multiple stories.

Public housing built decades ago had problems, since then there is less public housing and more homelessness, things have not improved.
    Trees don't grow on money

It will be a long,difficult and even impossible task for "tiny houses" to be acceptable in most any area. This is not due to a few building codes but due to zoning requirements including sanitary sewer and water issues. If anyone thought Not in My Backyard problems can be overcome, Habitat for Humanity has issues where I live just getting their quality stick built homes allowed. Tiny houses will be relegated to the same parks that allow mobile homes or RVs and they are few and far between and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    It will be a long,difficult and even impossible task for "tiny houses" to be acceptable in most any area. This is not due to a few building codes but due to zoning requirements including sanitary sewer and water issues. If anyone thought Not in My Backyard problems can be overcome, Habitat for Humanity has issues where I live just getting their quality stick built homes allowed. Tiny houses will be relegated to the same parks that allow mobile homes or RVs and they are few and far between and expensive.
    yes.

The backyard idea is so people could have family members close such as elderly parents. However, our neighborhood is being looked at because the backyards are big but their is a shortage of parking due to the university being close by. We have stayed in some Airbnb that were tiny in people’s backyards and they were great.

Thread Information