Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiny housing receives potential boom.

Tiny housing receives potential boom.

When codes start being standardized, it certainly makes for an easier time getting things approved.
    http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2018...ig-recognition

Wonder how much tiny house will actually happen?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

They are building some here for homeless people. They are also trying to amend the city codes so you could put one in your backyard but I doubt that will pass.

This trend is so stupid it makes my head hurt.

Yes tiny houses are charming, yes they intrique us, but dear god they are not practical for “ the homeless” and wtc etc etc. They exist for rich dilettantes.

It will be a long,difficult and even impossible task for "tiny houses" to be acceptable in most any area. This is not due to a few building codes but due to zoning requirements including sanitary sewer and water issues. If anyone thought Not in My Backyard problems can be overcome, Habitat for Humanity has issues where I live just getting their quality stick built homes allowed. Tiny houses will be relegated to the same parks that allow mobile homes or RVs and they are few and far between and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    It will be a long,difficult and even impossible task for "tiny houses" to be acceptable in most any area. This is not due to a few building codes but due to zoning requirements including sanitary sewer and water issues. If anyone thought Not in My Backyard problems can be overcome, Habitat for Humanity has issues where I live just getting their quality stick built homes allowed. Tiny houses will be relegated to the same parks that allow mobile homes or RVs and they are few and far between and expensive.
    yes.

They are perfect for the homeless that don’t own a lot of stuff. They are actually making a tiny house village for homeless that are willing to be hooked up to social workers to assist with accessing services such as: mental health, employment, SSI if too disabled to work, etc, They are meant to be a steppingstone to permanent housing.

The backyard idea is so people could have family members close such as elderly parents. However, our neighborhood is being looked at because the backyards are big but their is a shortage of parking due to the university being close by. We have stayed in some Airbnb that were tiny in people’s backyards and they were great.

Wouldn't they take up much more space than, say, a high-rise set aside for low- or no-income people?
    I can think of very few applications for them, personally--student or vacation housing being two.

They are usually not wheelchair friendly they don't have plumbing.

A town near us has a tiny home park for the homeless, but they are owned by the city. It's just a different type of shelter.

Housing is very expensive where I live. What would make more sense would yes, to have inexpensive studio apartments. They don't have to be high rise or even apartment blocks; they could be in converted houses or commercial/industrial space. With toilets and electricity and all.

Not as cute as tricked out tiny homes, but way more livable.

Thread Information