Thread: Pawpaws

Pawpaws

I planted a couple american pawpaw trees a number of years ago and they're finally producing.

I got about 23 small-medium ones and pulped them today. I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I did about 23 of them, and got just a little over 1/2 cup of pulp.

The med-bigger pawpaws had about 12 seeds in them, which really was most of what's inside.
    Anyone else deal with pawpaws?

Now on to the persimmons, which aren't a whole lot better, but do yield a little more pulp.

I rememberHarvesting persimmons from our friends farm decades ago.

It was interesting as a one time thing that’s it.

Oh, that's interesting. I remember in permaculture class they went on about pawpaws.

Usually the first harvest of any fruit is pretty small, in my limited experience.

SO how long ago were the Paw Paw planted? I was debating on a few to try for fun, we are at the MI/OH state line so the area is good for them.

In my never-to-be garden, the persimmon tree would be planted very near the avocado tree.
    Persimmons are among the loveliest fruits, IMO.

I've never had a persimmon. But we did inherit some very "shy" (planted weirdly right up against the walls of our work sheds and behind our garbage cans) apple and pear trees and they produce very well, considering how neglected they are. So we just had an arborist come out for an estimate on pruning and staking (one of the apple trees has been pushed over to a 45-degree angle). I truly would have loved to prune them myself, since I've had two classes in pruning in two different states, but I'd rather spy on an expert doing it this year and take over next year.

While persimmon and pawpaw sound really interesting, I don't think it would be worth my time to cultivate them because I have not yet learned how to enjoy them. I'd rather work on the apples and pears.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Cathy!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My grandparents had a pawpaw grove. Mostly we just ate them on the spot, generally off a blade of a pocket knife. They were delicious. I've not eaten one since I was about 8, and the farm was forced to make way for an interstate project... thanks for the memory, Cathy! I love persimmons, to eat, and to make pudding or bread. I wish I had a persimmon tree! DB has a nice tree, and shares, which is nice!

Thread Information