Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gimmethesimplelife... did you go to Thailand?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gimmethesimplelife... did you go to Thailand?

Interested in knowing how it went.

I was there in 1998. Beautiful but won’t be back. The plane ride took forever. Hot and humid even in winter with very polluted water. Temples etc very awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I was there in 1998. Beautiful but won’t be back. The plane ride took forever. Hot and humid even in winter with very polluted water. Temples etc very awesome.
    There are very few places I return to because there are so many other places/countries I want to see. In saying that... I just planned a birding tour to the RioGrande area of TX for this winter. We did a different area in TX a few years ago. We enjoyed it so much that have decided to try another area. It will be a nice break from snow and cold (I hope)!

I have seen enough temples and churches to last me a lifetime. That is why I am thrilled with the upcoming trip!

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    About 7 years ago went with a woman friend . We went on a tour which I was not totally fond of but we thought it was safer. I find tours fake tourism and too much shopping . Country was under martial law but that had no effect on us. A gay male couple on the tour buddied up with us as it was all married couples and people thought she and I were lesbians and somewhat ostracized us. That was an odd experience but didn’t bother us. We had some great experiences in boys town at tranvestite bars and other out of the way places .
    The country was just starting exposure to internet so I anticipate rapid cultural changes as they roar into the 21st century. Food was great but we only ate Cooked or packed food and water unless at tour approved hotels. Sanitation was substandard. Food was fabulous.
    Buddhist culture was very respectful and no beggars. Monks feed the poor and people are very generous to the monks. Where are you thinking of going?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Interested in knowing how it went.
    Hi Frugal One...…….I was not able to get the time off due to being short on supervisory staff. There is a period of time in Peak Season in February that is slower than projected and I'm trying to get time off then and it looks like it might actually work. Of course I buy no tickets until I'm cleared for time off. But I'm hoping for the best with this and I'm still wanting to go. Rob

PS AS for where I'd be going - Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur.

We went to
    thailand 30 years ago and loved it.but yeah, heat and humitity prevail.

Sweetana is our resident expert on
    Thailand, she has been several times.

I really suggest Chiang Mai rather than Bangkok. Still bustling but so much more human and much more accessible. You can visit the Elephant Nature Park sanctuary while there. Many tours leave from there. Buses will take you to other smaller cities. If we go back, that is where we want to go.

Bangkok was very polluted air and water. There was so much to see and do. The old presidental palace was gorgeous. I went with my sister so all we took was tours to be safe. Not my preferred way to travel. We only ate at big hotels and didn’t eat fruit, milk, no ice etc because didn’t want to get sick. Our brother had warned us to be super careful with eating.
    We foolishly only went for a week so lost 2 days to flying. My son moved to Vietnam to teach English and I wanted to visit him but I now have asthma and the air is to polluted.

We are leaving a month from today. Going to various national parks to see wildlife. i have never seen a trip like this and am very excited!

Frugal, the National Parks are wonderful. We have been to many and plan to see glacier. We have been to Italy and Poland twice each but different regions. I like to see new places to. The temples in Thailand were nothing like I have seen before but had never been to Asian countries. Painted bright colors with real gold. The reclining budda was made of gold. Our next European trip will be to Scotland and Ireland in November 2019.

Thread Information