Thread: Froze my credit.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Froze my credit.....

Two days ago I did something I've been contemplating for a long time and have been dreading doing because I thought it would be complicated and difficult.

I froze my credit. I found the process with all three of the big credit bureaus to be not all that difficult, and since May this year, it's free to do so, too. After the Equifax breach and then news of other breaches, and given that I am of the opinion I have enough credit already, I'm very much down with my credit being frozen.

What a nice gift to give yourself. Some degree of peace of mind, and like I posted above, as of May 2018 this peace of mind is free. Rob

I did it a few years back when you had to pay for it.

I think it is a good idea. Havent done it myself, though.

Yppej
    Mine is frozen. When we switched internet providers recently my son, who likes dealing with tech stuff generally, put the account in his name and I am reimbursing him. I say generally because he is discovering why people hate cable companies so much.

Easy peasy. We froze ours when Equifax breached. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't use that protection. It can be unfrozen in minutes if you're going to take an action that would do a credit check. It's time for US to be in control and not all those companies looking to send us "free offers"......

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Easy peasy. We froze ours when Equifax breached.
    Me, too. They had one job and they failed at it. Fine; I'll control access to my credit myself.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Man, I hate to sound so ignorant, but what are you guys talking about? What does "freezing your credit" mean?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It means you can't apply for new credit unless you unfreeze it and neither can identity thieves. You go to all the credit agencies individually and put a freeze on. Probably worth it, only it really has other downsides than just getting credit: background credit check that some (not all but it's not uncommon) jobs require before you can start - you'll have to unfreeze it, you can do this when they are doing the background check, getting a new apartment - yea you'll have to unfreeeze it and should probably do so if you are applying to apartments period, buying a car even for cash - either unfreeze or have money order for exact amount in hand - usually they'll give you some grace period of a few days but not if they can't check your credit.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Mine is frozen. When we switched internet providers recently my son, who likes dealing with tech stuff generally, put the account in his name and I am reimbursing him. I say generally because he is discovering why people hate cable companies so much.
    The phone companies are no different. DH has made 3 calls and one trip to an AT & T store to deal with their screw ip in the simple matter of is consolidating two bills into one.

Thread Information