Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MMM: "A Millionaire is Made $10 at a Time"

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    With earlyretirement.org I get links companies like Morgan Stanley selling financial planning services.
    Put a dash between the words. www.early-retirement.org
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

We still do a lot of potlucks etc with our friends. Usually when we go out it’s alone. We find with a group it’s easier st a house for great conversation and we can stay as long as we want.

Yppej
    Got it. Thank you Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    So much of it is a matter of where you are in life. Many of those posting now are retired and assume their savings/income streams are sufficient for their expected lifespans; many (at least some?) of us are not yet retired (or even close). Being in a committed relationship makes a big difference financially. And, not to take away anything from the abiity of those who have gotten to this financial level, many have had the advantage of stable locations and/or employment and/or relationships (moving, job loss, and divorce often are significant financial setbacks) and no chronic health conditions.

It's hard and misleading to compare your insides to other peoples' outsides. And that rarely ends well.
    Well said Stevie. Married 38y. Same town for 39y. No children. Both college graduates working in our fields. DH with same employer since 1993 and me only my 3rd since 1980 (current 17y). Same home since 1991. No debt. Good health X2. DH has high BP but treating it. My knee replacement was d/t injury not osteoarthritis. We live on 35% of our income because we have minimal expenses. Hence $10 cocktails don't bother me in the least.

Our expenses this year are running right at our 2012 expenses and that includes my knee replacement out-of-pocket costs so this year has been good to us!

So yes, comparing to others is like fruit salad. I know people who make far more than us and can't afford what we do. And others who are so dang frugal they do far more than we do. And many who do far more on far less and have debt up the wazoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post

I can afford my books. It’s a matter of knowing what you want to spend your life energy on. Books are worth it to me.
    Yup! This is why the exercises in YMOYL are so valuable. Learning about how we value our expenditures and making these mindful choices

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    It's hard and misleading to compare your insides to other peoples' outsides. And that rarely ends well.
    I agree with your post. While it's hard NOT to compare, I usually find that most peoples' outsides are not for me to begin with. But *sometimes* I find these types of conversations so pointedly emphasize the growing economic and thus social gaps that exist within my own neighborhood as well as across the country... it's not surprising the current attitudes and emotions that are being seen. I just think it's sad. (sorry, know I'm not stating this well, but... only my first cup of coffee. LOL)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I agree with your post. While it's hard NOT to compare, I usually find that most peoples' outsides are not for me to begin with. But *sometimes* I find these types of conversations so pointedly emphasize the growing economic and thus social gaps that exist within my own neighborhood as well as across the country... it's not surprising the current attitudes and emotions that are being seen. I just think it's sad. (sorry, know I'm not stating this well, but... only my first cup of coffee. LOL)
    I actually avoid MMM for exactly this reason, Happystuff. I am really turned off by the typical posts there, which seem aggressive and entitled, 40-50 year old's with "megastaches" or whatever they call it, really make me feel rather hopeless. They also seem to be lucky, and not to have gone through a lot of what I went through, and I can't read them without feeling bad about my future, and poor.

Who the hell needs that? I am looking forward to trying the early retirement board that Terry recommends.

(I try to stay positive; can't do it on some boards or places.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I actually avoid MMM for exactly this reason, Happystuff. I am really turned off by the typical posts there, which seem aggressive and entitled, 40-50 year old's with "megastaches" or whatever they call it, really make me feel rather hopeless. They also seem to be lucky, and not to have gone through a lot of what I went through, and I can't read them without feeling bad about my future, and poor.

Who the hell needs that? I am looking forward to trying the early retirement board that Terry recommends.

(I try to stay positive; can't do it on some boards or places.)
    I agree with a lot of what you said, Tybee. It is a different type of personality on that board.

Another good early retirement blog is Jacob Lund Fisker's: http://earlyretirementextreme.com
    There's no discussion board on it but a lot of food for thought.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I actually avoid MMM for exactly this reason, Happystuff. I am really turned off by the typical posts there, which seem aggressive and entitled, 40-50 year old's with "megastaches" or whatever they call it, really make me feel rather hopeless.
    The "megastache" posts don't bother me so much as the general level of aggressiveness, humblebragging, and (dare I say it?) coarseness on that site. Despite the amount of good advice there, I just didn't cotton to it. This site and Bogleheads are much more accepting and genteel; lots of FIRE and frugal people present without the language and facepunches. Haven't yet looked at the ER site that was mentioned.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yes - it’s the lack of regard for other humans and the general bullying and making fun of others that annoys me. Very immature.

Thread Information