My husband and I share one car
    He bikes to work
    We live in about 800 sq ft in “bad” part of town
    Everything is paid for except mortgage
    I’m retiring with a full lifetime pension
    I’m earning in the low 6 figures

I can afford my books

😄

It’s a matter of knowing what you want to spend your life energy on. Books are worth it to me.

Happy, we were frugal most of our lives by necessity. A divorce after 22 years devastated me financially although I wanted it. My husband had the same thing happen to him so we were basically starting over in our mid 40’s. Luckily we both got government jobs with small pensions and we were able to save money. I have had 3 friends die between 59-67 so you can bet at 64 I am enjoying my money. We are on a 5 day RV trip and in the past I would have cooked all our meals. Now we eat cereal for breakfast and eat out the rest of the time. We found a great restaurant up here a year ago that with tip costs 120. We eat there once a year. We have also stepped up our travel. 2 big trips a year. I also still make money teaching and consulting. We are no longer saving money but spending. My dad had a big stroke at 59 and never got to do a thing in retirement. As Steve said most of us are older and in spending mode now. However, I still wash the doggie pads instead of buying disposables. Mainly for environmental reasons.

My lush spending right now is on a personal trainer. Never thought I'd spend that way but as a middle age woman I need some strength and I have none:-)

I don't imagine I will ever go into a spend the stash stage as I have three adult children who I would like to leave money. I imagine as when I retire I will spend some portion of the stash on travel, etc. and keep the rest to pass on.

We helped all the kids when they were young and needed it. I don’t care about leaving any money behind. We encouraged my parents to enjoy their money which they did. By the time my mom died at 89 she had pre-paid all her funeral costs. Told us to sell her car and buy everyone that came to the funeral lunch at a restaurant she picked. Had she lived she could have lived on her monthly income. We were happy that she got to travel and enjoy her money. My kids feel the same way. On ER.org people seem to have a lot more money and fly first or business class, etc. I find that hard to relate to because of the cost . But they can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We helped all the kids when they were young and needed it. I don’t care about leaving any money behind. We encouraged my parents to enjoy their money which they did. By the time my mom died at 89 she had pre-paid all her funeral costs. Told us to sell her car and buy everyone that came to the funeral lunch at a restaurant she picked. Had she lived she could have lived on her monthly income. We were happy that she got to travel and enjoy her money. My kids feel the same way. On ER.org people seem to have a lot more money and fly first or business class, etc. I find that hard to relate to because of the cost . But they can afford it.
    What is ER.org?

Early retirement site. A nice group of people with no political discussions allowed. Many have more money but some have retired pretty frugally. The age group is mainly older between 50-80.

Yppej
    When I type it in I get Employment Research Institute - "take a look at our collection of companies".

Sorry you must type early retirement.org

Yppej
    With earlyretirement.org I get links companies like Morgan Stanley selling financial planning services.

It works for me and I checked the address. Maybe try adding forums to the end because it works both ways for me

Thread Information