Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MMM: "A Millionaire is Made $10 at a Time"

MMM: "A Millionaire is Made $10 at a Time"

We were talking about concepts in YMOYL that really hit home. Here's one that was alluded to in a recent blog post by MMM (talking about the Suze Orman reaction to FIRE).. A while back I read his whole post on this thoughtt: the idea that many people fritter $10, but those meaningless $10s all add up to real money.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/...cks-at-a-time/

It hit me, because I'm guilty. What's $10? A glass of wine in a restaurant. A magazine. Any number of superfluous decorating things: a pillow from HomeGoods, a plant.

But it only takes 10 $10 bills to make $100, and I'm not so quick to blow $100.

Do you spend $10 mindlessly? If so, on what?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am so habituated to thinking $9 for a glass of wine* is huge that I now pause, feel the pit of my stomach drop, but spend it anyway. Because now I am spending the stash.

Prior to retirement I woild have skipped it. I woild have spent $9 on a glass of wine only at an occasional social get-togehter, and then I,would have had two glasses but no more.

*Just last week I ordered a glass of wine for $9 while I was waiting for a take out order. It was a completely unnecessary purchase because it wasnt a social event. But the wine was good, I really enjoyed it!

Iris lilies, I am at the same point, now, trying to enjoy spending on things that used to make me balk. Convenience to make my life easier is a bigger priority now...it's only money.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Iris lilies, I am at the same point, now, trying to enjoy spending on things that used to make me balk. Convenience to make my life easier is a bigger priority now...it's only money.
    Oh god yes! Convenience! Items that actually work! Not buying The Cheapest or trying to cobble something together or Doing Withoit because we have always Done Without.

DH is having a harder time moving up in spending than I am. Probably he doesnt quite agree with my path of spending the stash, but in some areas he is ok with it.

We also are in spending mode after years of doing without and convenience. We always throw 2 big outdoor parties during the summer. I usually make all the food but the one we had last Saturday I bought the food. A few weeks before the party we saw this fabulous street singer downtown. He is a teacher also. I hired him to sing for 2 hours so it cost 200. He sang a extra hour for free. We have 2 patios so put him on the farthest one and people danced in the yard. Everyone had such a great time.

Funny but I am now using my electric clothes dryer a little more as it is more convenient at times than the outside washline. I am buying smaller packages rather than looking for the most thrifty but little else has changed. Creeping along in my spending has been so long a part of my life that I really don't wish to change much.

I have always spent, albeit saving carefully for it first, when the value to me has been really high.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I don't think I'll ever be a "free" spender, spending without thought, but I am a spender now for the things that help in ways I used to think weren't necessary. As an example, I will have a limo take me to the airport now, rather than drive the 2 hours myself and just figure the cost into the trip. My lessened anxiety it worth the money. We have a window washer now because I hate doing them and need a ladder. I'm not going to fall for clean windows. Getting central air this summer has been marvelous! I don't think the electricity bill is much more, either. Probably should have done it 20 years ago, but the heat didn't bother me so much then. All the thrifty years have gotten us here.

I don't think twice about a cocktail when I'm out. worth every penny of enjoyment. however, my retirement is fully funded and I'm still working. I didn't start doing this freely until the last 5 years. If I counted them up, some months I may very well have 10-15 of them.

I am hopelessly frugal but will spend the $10 here and there if I believe I am getting good value and/or good feelings from the purchase. At this point in life, I am loosening up a bit and find myself saying "what the heck" when before I would have felt remorse or guilt. Also, after a lifetime of looking for deals when I did spend money, it just doesn't make sense sometimes to devote precious time anymore to saving a few bucks here and there. But I still don't order wine at a restaurant since I can by a bottle for what they charge for a glass

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    But I still don't order wine at a restaurant since I can by a bottle for what they charge for a glass
    True. My preferred nice vodka bottle is 2.5 cocktails out. don't care anymore

Thread Information