Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What credit card do you use for travel?

The insurance is not very expensive. At our age one of us could end up sick. My mom used her trip insurance enough to make it worthwhile.

I think the last time we purchased insurance it was about 10% of the trip. I think that is expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I think the last time we purchased insurance it was about 10% of the trip. I think that is expensive!
    It's not cheap -- but, then, neither are the services that worthwhile policies provide, like ship-to-shore transportation if you're critically sick. Like all insurance, it's a matter of managing risk. Our policies have covered matters as diverse as surgeon's fees in other countries, medical transportation to countries where appropriate care is available, alternate transportation in the event of a natural disaster or political coup, and even will repay the cost of the cruise and airfare if your employer declares that you must stay at work instead of vacation. Like most insurance, you hope never to have to draw on it.

It's all managing risk. MHO is that, on a big vacation I'm a lot of places where I'm not familiar with the food or the quality of the water or with allergens or local insects and I'm doing certain activities (hiking in mountains, walking on slippery rocks, etc.) that I'm not always doing at home. I also figure that if the trip were, say, 10% more expensive, I probably still would go. But I'll put up 10% of, say, 5 or 6 grand for the bigger trips. It's a better ratio than my car insurance (on which I haven't claimed in decades)....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

The trip insurance I buy only covers the cost of the cruise and airfare. Medical coverage is separate and we do not buy that. I think on our first cruise I paid 80 each for the cruise and airfare which cost 4k. Well worth it to me. A friend of mine bought the medical insurance because they had many health issues at the time (cancer).

Capital One. I have it linked to a Cap One savings account as well. Have had no issues with it.

Thread Information