Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Harvest from the Garden, Sprouting Time

Last Harvest from the Garden, Sprouting Time

Today I harvested the last from the backyard garden, after two-or-three frost nights: kale. Good old kale.

My tradition is to begin now to grow sprouts. My favorite sprouts are daikon radish, alfalfa, and fenugreek. I grow a few other sprouts for variety, but those three will be my mainstays over the winter.

I did some clean-up of the garden today. My climbing tomatoes have finally developed blight so I cleaned up everything and took it to recycling for disposal. I plan on doing about 2 hours a day until everything is ready for winter. We may get our first frost this weekend.

It was cloudy today with a very few glimpses of sun so the morning glories were in full bloom as you can see.

IMG_0431.jpg
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

razz, my morning glories are in bloom, too!!!

IMG_4569.jpg

I still have kale and chard in my garden. But I'll be closing shop soon. I'm going to test my soil with UVM before I leave.

Plan next year.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

First frost last night.

We finally took down our green bean trellises yesterday. Still got about 2 qt. of beans off them. Frosted here over the weekend too. Took the last of the pingpong-baseball sized green tomatoes in to ripen on the counter, too.

Got my garlic planted and covered with chicken wire (vs squirrels and neighbor cats). Drying herbs now.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    We finally took down our green bean trellises yesterday. Still got about 2 qt. of beans off them. Frosted here over the weekend too. Took the last of the pingpong-baseball sized green tomatoes in to ripen on the counter, too.

Got my garlic planted and covered with chicken wire (vs squirrels and neighbor cats). Drying herbs now.
    Thanks for the reminder to plant my garlic. I got reminded to get my snow tires put on so have that scheduled for this Friday. Fall season has so many annual duties to remember and schedule when everyone else wants them done as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I just harvested the remaining kale. We've had freezing 2 mornings in a row so that's about all it can take. Looks like about 4 cups after steaming it down. When it cools, into the freezer it goes for freshies over the winter!

Making lots of apple crisp

Anyone know how to make fried green tomatoes? I have a few green tomatoes I'd love to use.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Anyone know how to make fried green tomatoes? I have a few green tomatoes I'd love to use.
    It's been a few years but yes, mix an egg or two with milk in a bowl, put flour on one plate and cornmeal on another. Slice the tomatoes and lightly coat the slices with flour, then dip the coated slices in the milk/egg mixture and finally coat them with the cornmeal. Put them directly into a skillet of hot oil and cook until crispy.

Mmmmm, now I want some.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information