Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Harvest from the Garden, Sprouting Time

Yppej
    I dip mine in seasoned bread crumbs rather than flour and cornmeal.

I recently discovered they're really good in stir-fries without the breading and dipping process -- just chopped up.

Just picked my last zucchini, due to unseasonably warm weather, it went a lot longer this year. Usually dies out in September. Got it just before the first freeze a few days ago. Also picked butternut squash and onions. Still have to pick remaining carrots and onions, which I will do this weekend. Finally stopped raining every day around here so I can get out and clear things. Normally, I am pretty much cleared out by this time but constant rain and unseasonable warm weather made the mosquitoes come back with a vengeance. I could only last 5 minutes in the garden before being eaten alive.

My tomatoes died long ago. They did horribly this year. Good thing I still have a bunch in the freezer. We were getting close to the 20's at night, so I went out and cut all the butternut squash off the trellis (got about 19), picked all the peppers (made chili with the green ones). I've already dried enough rosemary, but the plants are still going strong........but they seem to do okay in really cool weather.

I have to say now that I'm getting older, I'm happy when the garden is done. Now we just need to clean it up. Oh....and I have to freeze the butternut squash pulp. It's easier, now that I've learned to do it in an easier way.........just wash, leave whole and poke with fork/knife and bake......then remove the skins and seeds. Also, instead of using a food mill, I just use a immersion blender to finish it. Then into the freezer it goes. It's sooooo good in the winter.

We did transplant a hydrangea and some hostas, and I still need to replant some iris. Then I'll need to deal with all the water plants.
    I really need to control myself in the spring and remember how much work everything is......and not buy anything new to plant........except more trees, oh and maybe another bush or 2, and then there's some perennials......................

Yppej
    I harvested some parsley today; will see if more grows.

WeEat fried green tomatoes this time of year. They are good.

We are harvesting green tomato, apples, and all the squashes. It was 28 degrees this morning!
    We put the squashes in a cardboard box with straw between them out in the shed.

DH bought an apple peeler yesterday. ONe little tree and we get bag after bag of apples for the freezer.

Found a beautiful cantelope and ate it yesterday. We had thrown out lots and lots of seeds that we had been saving for over 7 years-- many were apparently still viable. It was fun to see what came up.

Thanks for the fried green tomato recipes!

Re apples. We were able to pick a few of our own apples but there are no more now. While I was walking in our neighborhood, I saw the my neighbor behind me, who practically has an orchard with probably a dozen apple trees, has lots of apples left on the trees. He is gone for the winter. I'm so tempted to pick a couple!!! Is that stealing? What if he has a surveillance system and he sees my apple-thievery? I just hate to see them go to waste.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Thanks for the fried green tomato recipes!

Re apples. We were able to pick a few of our own apples but there are no more now. While I was walking in our neighborhood, I saw the my neighbor behind me, who practically has an orchard with probably a dozen apple trees, has lots of apples left on the trees. He is gone for the winter. I'm so tempted to pick a couple!!! Is that stealing? What if he has a surveillance system and he sees my apple-thievery? I just hate to see them go to waste.
    I don't think it's stealing, and you can can them and make pies for him when he gets back. . .

Thread Information