Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How do you save that $10

Different strokes work for different folks in pretty much everything that we do in our lives including saving $10 in ways that make sense to each of us.

I definitely have the big spending/little economies thing at work. I do, however, do the research as Steve suggests to save on things like a new furnace. But we also do without a lot of things we really do need--kind of anorectic then binge spending. I wish I felt more confident to supply my needs.

My mom was intensely frugal, which was good, but also practiced self-neglect in some ways, which is not good or healthy. So yes, she did become a millionaire. But I don't want the life she had, where she could not spend money to do something like go out to dinner or pay to have the house repaired.

I need to start tracking spending again, as I hope this can help to point out the imbalance in certain areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I definitely have the big spending/little economies thing at work. I do, however, do the research as Steve suggests to save on things like a new furnace. But we also do without a lot of things we really do need--kind of anorectic then binge spending. I wish I felt more confident to supply my needs.
    I identify with that.

Related to the metaphor, we were at our most financially dysfunctional when we couldn't afford anything at Christmas time. We'd do our best with the kids. But for DH and I, in an O Henry-esque (Gift of the Magi) manner, we would go to Nordstrom and buy each other beautiful things. We'd open them up on Christmas Day and ooh and ahh, and express our thanks. Then the next day we'd quietly return everything, knowing we couldn't afford to keep it. It became almost an unspoken rule for a few years. I call those years my Christmas Bulemia years.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I spend a lot of time researching big ticket items and looking for good sales. Last January we bought a new couch and I wanted something quality that would last at least 10 years. Our last tv and guest mattress came from overstock and were great deals.

Thread Information