Thread: Zucchini "boats"

Zucchini "boats"

I have a couple of keto recipes I make which call for zucchini (or crookneck squash) which are split lengthwise, the seeds/guts removed, and the remaining shell ("boat") used to hold other ingredients. I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done with the seeds? Pumpkin seeds and even squash seeds separated from the stringy stuff, sure. But zucchini? Any ideas beyond feeding the pigs we don't have and the compost heap which will freeze in a month or two?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I make stuffed zucchini and gladly put the seeds and stringy stuff in the compost.

If the zucchini seeds are small and soft I would use them and the pulp in muffins or quick breads. Even big zucchini often have soft seeds and useable pulp for baked goodies. In the summer I freeze the chopped up zucchini and use it in the winter for baking.

Thanks, thinkgreen. We don't often eat such things, but maybe I'll bake them for others.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Until this thread I had not ever considered discarding the zucchini seeds. It's not like they're big and tough like winter squash seeds. Admittedly, though, the most adventurous I've been with cooking zucchini is to put a bit of oil on it, some red pepper flakes and throw it on the grill for a few minutes as my chicken is finishing up.

For what it's worth I've also never discarded tomato seeds since doing so leaves one without much fruit left.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Until this thread I had not ever considered discarding the zucchini seeds. It's not like they're big and tough like winter squash seeds. Admittedly, though, the most adventurous I've been with cooking zucchini is to put a bit of oil on it, some red pepper flakes and throw it on the grill for a few minutes as my chicken is finishing up.

For what it's worth I've also never discarded tomato seeds since doing so leaves one without much fruit left.
    Well, if you are stuffing the zucchini you do have to do something with the pulp. I do scoop out the seeds of cucumber as well. I also cut tomatoes off at the end and turn over and squeeze out the juice and seeds so it doesn't make what I'm using it in soggy.

Perhaps you could add it to soups, stews, sauces or stir fries. It adds nutrition and bulk but tends to act somewhat like a chameleon does to "disappear" visually and take on the flavor of your dish.

Squash seeds are a good source of zinc, though not as good as pumpkin seeds.

I'm not sure that the seeds would even be broken down with eating (zucchini) to utilize what's inside them. I've never checked.
    You could probably freeze the pulp and throw it into some type of soup/stew? I think the flavor would probably blend in with whatever it's put into.

Thanks, all! In a fit of cleaning out the fridge before garbage day, and because right now the compost bin is full, these innards were discarded. But I will be making more with zucchini so I will save what's removed and try these suggestions.

Thread Information