Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Khashoggi Disappearance: Looming Crisis or Simple Distraction?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm curious why this particular murder rates such outrage, considering how many people we and our allies and our "enemies" imprison, torture, and kill on a regular sort of day.
    Because it's easier to identify with an individual than with masses of victims?

I reserve the right to be outraged by my choice of the heinous events happening on a daily basis. This one really got to me, for some reason. Maybe it was that Khashoggi looked familiar, facial hair and all. Also the poor, jailed kids at the border. Talk about impotent rage.

The massive collateral damage done by greed and war and international politics is beyond most people's comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    They think they dismembered him. Don’t know if that’s more gruesome than normal.
    Homosexuality in Saudi Arabia is punished by stoning to death, so perhaps their metric for "gruesome" is different from ours here in the US.

I know that Bae as my brother worked there for 8 years. My ex wanted to do the same and I said fine but the kids and I aren’t going and he didn’t want to go alone.

May I suggest that this is a power struggle within the Mideast powers against the Saudi crown prince to dislodge him. He has ruffled a number of feathers so the best way to dislodge him is to show his inappropriate behaviour to the world within and without. There are many other princes waiting in the wings to take their turn in ruling.

I find it hard to believe that the Kashoggi (sp) was that naive going into the embassy. We will never hear 'the rest of the story'.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    What I find most interesting about this is the manner in which the Turks have compromised their extensive bugging of the Embassy. That seems like a high price to pay in order to be helpful.

There's a lot of things that make you go hmmmm in this event, it's almost like someone's been reading too many Tom Clancy novels.
    I have read investigative reporting from overseas sources that state Khashoggi was wearing an Apple Watch when he entered the consulate and that the watch was paired with his iPhone that remained outside the consulate in the possession of his fiancé. This leads to speculation that information could have been obtained from the iCloud regarding Khashoggis heartbeat and GPS location by time stamp. The Turkish government has probably not compromised their surveillance capabilities but have certainly enhanced their understanding of the circumstances through the combined intelligence of surveillance and the Apple technology Khashoggi was using to deter his kidnapping or foul play.

Gosh, WS, my "wee pea brain" (as DH call his) wants to know: what do you mean?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    I’ll let this be an explanation: It should be interesting to see if US news elaborates down the road. If you don’t want to Disappear like Jimmy Hoffa, you attach a device to yourself that will report the kind of suspicious data such as a vanishing heartbeat, failure to move about as a human would, change in brain functions, failure to burn calories, enter sleep or a myriad of symptoms not consistent with a healthy life. It can show evidence of being tortured so that someone can intervene on your behalf. A special watch might be provided by a special government agency.

Copied and plastered from this website:https://www.lifewire.com/can-you-use...h-ipad-1994095

What Can the Apple Watch Do Without an iPhone?

If you want to get the most out of your Apple Watch without the need to bring along your iPhone, you can purchase a watch with Cellular connectivity. This will allow you to accept phone calls, receive text messages and stream music without using your iPhone. However, this will drain the Apple Watch's battery faster and is not recommended for all-day use.

But there are a number of things the Apple Watch can do without being connected to the iPhone even without a cellular connection. It can track your steps, measure heartbeat, analyze your sleep and give you calorie burn estimates for some activities. The newest watch can even perform an EKG.

I'm curious why this particular murder rates such outrage, considering how many people we and our allies and our "enemies" imprison, torture, and kill on a regular sort of day.
    the answer I sometimes suspect is some agenda must be being pursued, a foreign policy one and not just a Dem vs Reps one I'd suspect. But also I guess a lot of journalists etc. personally knew the guy, and they don't know the hoi polloi, even in this country really, but especially not in some country on the other side of the world.

the massive collateral damage done by greed and war and international politics is beyond most people's comprehension.
    not beyond comprehension, I don't think you can really know what war is from an emotional, experiential, and even to some degree from a factual, perspective unless you've lived it, but you can get more than enough of an intellectual understanding of the horror of it all, but not if you don't want to know.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post

not beyond comprehension, I don't think you can really know what war is from an emotional, experiential, and even to some degree from a factual, perspective unless you've lived it, but you can get more than enough of an intellectual understanding of the horror of it all, but not if you don't want to know.
    People probably don't want to know because there are only so many fronts you can fight on, and not much you can do about any of it, so the alternative is going mad with frustration and grief if you allow yourself to really think about it.

WilliamSmith.......Don't you think those people who may have killed him, know about those kinds of watches and may have removed it first off.? And if they didn't, and it showed essentially his moment of death......don't you think that might have been reported by now? Just wondering.....

Thread Information