Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Per Usual As Of Late, A Lot Is Going On

Wow that is a lot happening at once. I also agree you need to get your surgery done. Your dad is in good hands and maybe you can provide support by phone until you can make a trip out there. So sorry you are experiencing all of this after the loss of your daughter.

Another vote for taking care of yourself. Sending you hugs, SiouzQ. You've had an incredibly rough time of it lately. Sounds like we're about the same age- stuff just wears you down more than it did 20-30 years ago.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    Luckily my dad's wife is a geriatric nurse so on a practical level she is really on top of things but emotionally, I am sure she is exhausted. Her daughters live in the area too and they are helping to keep us informed. With me in New Mexico, my sister back in Michigan and my brother in North Carolina, it feels like a big waiting game as when to get out there if things take a turn for the worse.

So, I guess I'll go about my day - I finally have two days off in a row and the gallery is closed too. I can't even remember when I had two days off with the exception of being back in Michigan for the memorial service. It's probably been since May, I think. I have a lot of errands to run in Santa Fe to get ready for next week , mainlyt buying frozen food that is easy to open and prepare one-handed.
    There are times in our lives where we must put first priority on ourselves. i believe SiouzQ this is one of those times for you Self-care is in your best interest. your wrist and your heart and your soul need healing. I wish I was closer to provide meals for a few weeks. Is there a way to do that for you?

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I am lucky to live in a great little community that will provide whatever help I need. Plus my boyfriend will be able to help.

Today I have to go back to Santa Fe and do laundry, library and grocery shopping. I am buying a bunch of frozen meals to eat, and easy-to-open cans of soup. The things I will need help with at first are doing the dishes and cleaning up things. Luckily I live in such a small space none of that is hard or time-consuming. Later in the weekend I will do a good cleaning and vacuuming.

My dad is hanging in there. He had a permanent pace maker installed yesterday and made it through the night with no blood pressure crashes. I am waiting for word from my sister about whether she is going out there this weekend (ironically, she just had surgery on her left hand because she fell and broke it last week). I was teasing her about taking over my roll as family klutz. After my surgery we will both have unusable left hands.

The thing about my dad is that at 91 years old, and after having such a significant heart event, that I feel like even if he pulls through this this time I am keenly aware that it is entirely probable that he will never really "recover" from all this and that we are facing the fact that this is the road to the inevitable. I would like to see him one more time; I just hope it doesn't have to be this weekend. He is in good spirits in spite of everything and cracking his horribly dry jokes apparently, making everyone laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    [Dad] is in good spirits in spite of everything and cracking his horribly dry jokes apparently, making everyone laugh.
    Attitude counts for a lot. I hope the timing works out for all of you.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

You are keeping a lot of plates spinning. I think it's a good idea to take care of yourself and get through your surgery and then schedule a time later you can go to see your dad.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information