Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Per Usual As Of Late, A Lot Is Going On

Per Usual As Of Late, A Lot Is Going On

Yeesh, I got through Balloon Fiesta (our busiest foot traffic time of year), and I have my wrist surgery (Ulnar Shortening Osteotomy) on Tuesday the 23rd. In the meantime, my 91 year old dad has had a significant heart event that has landed him in the ICU up in Seattle. He seems to be rallying for now, in good spirits, but they are probably installing a pacemaker tomorrow.

It's hard to know what to plan for - do I try to go up to Seattle for a quick weekend? I really, really do NOT want to reschedule my surgery because I have already been waiting a long, long time to get this thing done (and I really need to get it done because my wrist and hand are fast becoming useless).

I am still grieving for my daughter; it tends to hit me fairly often and in a variety of ways. I am also grieving for my ex-MIL (my daughter's other grandma). She has been recently diagnosed with dementia and is unable to care for my former cat I left her when I moved to New Mexico. Her son is taking the cat to the Humane Society this week - I cannot have the cat here, and even if I could, I have no way to get her anyway. It is what it is, but I feel very badly for the cat. I sure hope someone nice adopts her.

So many losses and changes this year. It makes me tired. I wish things would settle down for a bit but I have a feeling this year is just the start of the long bumpy ride of life that occurs when you are in the latter part of your '50's.

Thanks for listening, I appreciate it.
    Last edited by SiouzQ.; 10-17-18 at 9:40am.

I feel for you, it's that time of life for those of us in that age range.

Let me know if you need any Seattle-area support.

That is a whole lot of hard stuff.

I would go ahead with the surgery. You need your hands.

Call your dad or write him, whatever works, and let him know he's in your thoughts. If he's having surgery, chances are you wouldn't be able to spend much quality time together anyhow.

And you do know, your ride is a lot bumpier than most. I hope it gets better.

Bumpy rides are a challenge. Wishing you peace and a successful operation!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I, too, would choose to keep the surgery date. I wonder if you have a relative that visits your dad and could do something like facetime/skype with him?
    (((Hugs)))

Gosh, SiouzQ, you have had an incredibly horrible year. I wish you continued strength as you push through, and better days ahead.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm so sorry you have to deal with the ulnar surgery and your dad's surgery at the same time. That comes at such a hard time. I would get my own surgery because with your dad, it is likely to be a long haul and you need your strength.

Sending hugs and prayers!

I'll echo the urge to get the surgery. It's in the "put on your own mask first" school of thought. It sounds like you soon won't be able to do that much for yourself (for a while) without it, never mind help others. And, by all means, take the time it takes to be good to yourself. There's a lot of heavy stuff happening very quickly around you this year...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Luckily my dad's wife is a geriatric nurse so on a practical level she is really on top of things but emotionally, I am sure she is exhausted. Her daughters live in the area too and they are helping to keep us informed. With me in New Mexico, my sister back in Michigan and my brother in North Carolina, it feels like a big waiting game as when to get out there if things take a turn for the worse.

So, I guess I'll go about my day - I finally have two days off in a row and the gallery is closed too. I can't even remember when I had two days off with the exception of being back in Michigan for the memorial service. It's probably been since May, I think. I have a lot of errands to run in Santa Fe to get ready for next week , mainlyt buying frozen food that is easy to open and prepare one-handed.

It seems like often troubles arrive in bunches; I'm sure you'll get through this.
    I fervently hope the cat lands on its feet--is the humane society a no-kill shelter there? I hope so.

Thread Information