Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OH Canna-bis^^ My Home .....

Williamsmith

OH Canna-bis^^ My Home .....

Well, once again our neighbors to the North have shown that they are the more enlightened country. Perhaps they will adopt a new flag....

ocanada_01_flat-h_2016.jpg

Those crossing back into the US might experience a slight delay after spending time in Canada . The Border Patrol will be quite diligent I assume. Could there be any social ramifications?

Opioid stocks will tank? That's the first social ramification that leapt to mind.

The libertarian in me would legalize all drugs--I'm particularly waiting for psilocybin, personally--but not without robust treatment plans in place which would likely result in less drug abuse overall. Legalization has certainly worked for Portugal, but we're notoriously averse to learning from other countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...orld-copied-it

The news says that Canadians working in the marijuana business and possibly even investors could be banned from entering the US for life by existing laws. That will probably shake out to something less serious.

From our Colorado experience I'm convinced that marijuana is physically less harmful than alcohol and may not have significant health effects, but I believe it is a demotivater and for some people can be psychologically addictive and can cause mental disorders if abused. I run in an older crowd and know people who use it mostly for a sleep aid or pain relief, both of which I think are mostly like grandma's rheumatize medicine jug, but other than that it's pretty much invisible to me. That's my thoughts on social ramifications, although the movement is gaining momentum everywhere is seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    From our Colorado experience I'm convinced that marijuana is physically less harmful than alcohol and may not have significant health effects, but I believe it is a demotivater and for some people can be psychologically addictive.
    I agree with you. It can be a demotivating, but I don't get too worried about unmotivated people as long as they're happy not moving. We are so focused in this country on having to DO DO DO and EXCEL and SUCCEED that sometimes it's refreshing to hang out with someone who just wants to watch the grass grow. That's my experience being somewhat of a DOER/SUCCESS-CHASER myself, and observing friends who are heavy pot-smokers . I am not a pot-smoker myself (I hate the way it makes me feel), but I'll take the let-it-be vibe from my pot friends over the drama and insanity of my alcoholic friends and over the relentless pursuit of perfection of my Type A friends.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The people I know use it for pain relief and sleep. As far as motivation goes, there are strains conducive to just about any level of activity you're interested in, according to the people at Leafly. It is much less harmful than either tobacco or alcohol--physiologically and psychologically--especially if the latest research on alcohol is to be believed. And--at least in Washington--it's taxed to death, so should be good for Canada's bottom line.

It’s legal here and we haven’t seen any issues occurring.

The biggest issue is the combo alcohol and cannabis when driving or operating a machine or at any work setting requiring alert attention.
    No one has a proven test for inebriation that will hold up in court.
    The smell from the growers who don't use air filtration is a major issue for neighbouring properties.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I heard the first driving while toking arrest was made within the first hour after the law went into effect. Mr. Ford would be proud.

I think we should follow Canada’s lead. With so many forms of commoditized stupidity already available, what’s one more?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I heard the first driving while toking arrest was made within the first hour after the law went into effect. Mr. Ford would be proud.

I think we should follow Canada’s lead. With so many forms of commoditized stupidity already available, what’s one more?
    From what I have been told and what I have read elsewhere, cannabis has been consumed by the majority of the population for some time. I know of those who do use it with great care to not offend. The legal is supposed to undermine the large illegal sales. We'll see...
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

I'm offended on behalf of my friends who use cannabis for medicinal reasons. Like my stroke-victim relative who finds it far preferable to opioids. I'd be offended on behalf of myself, but I recognize an uninformed throwaway line when I see one.

Thread Information