Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got flu shot.........

Me neither, Cathy. I was put in the hospital two years running by reaction to flu shots, and have not had one since, but am thinking about doing it this year because of visiting elderly parents in nursing home and toddler grandchildren.

Hey Steve........I don't know if you're old enough to consider getting the pneumococcal vaccine, but I got that this year too. Doc warned me that sometimes the injection site can get as big as a walnut. haha Fortunately, mine was pretty small, and blended right in with my shoulder arthritis, so that vaccine wasn't a problem at all. And it sounded like that virus could be deadly, especially in older people.

I had the pneumonia shot in February and I had a huge painful hot rash that went from my shoulder to my elbow for about 7-10 days. The funny thing was that I was getting a tetanus shot at the same time, and I asked the nurse to do that in my left arm as I usually ache for days (I'm right handed). The pnuemonia shot pain was way worse than the tetanus shot, and in my dominant arm.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Hey Steve........I don't know if you're old enough to consider getting the pneumococcal vaccine
    I don't know if I'm old enough, either! I'll have to ask my PCP. She didn't mention it during my visit, but she didn't mention anything other than the flu shot anyway.

DW and I did get the Zostavax shingles vaccine years ago, paying for it out of "leftover" healthcare reimbursement accounts because we weren't old enough at the time for insurance to cover it. We probably won't have HCRA money at the end of this year but we can look into it if it looks like we might. Thanks for the tip!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

65 is the general rule or Medicare eligible. Probably can get it if high risk too.

we've been getting the flu shots for years, forgot one year a while back, but we seldom have any reaction except a bit of feverish soreness at the site. I have a friend who quit her job because she was ordered to get a flu shot....her mother died of kidney complications after getting the shot-it put a bad feeling about them in her. we've had the shingles shot and pneumonia shot- both 69.

I have been getting a flu vaccine every year since 1997, I've had the shingles and both pneumonia vaccines, all without any ill effects.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I don't think so.
    Some people don't think that Earth is spherical.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Me neither, Cathy. I was put in the hospital two years running by reaction to flu shots, and have not had one since, but am thinking about doing it this year because of visiting elderly parents in nursing home and toddler grandchildren.
    What was the doctor's diagnosis?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Some people don't think that Earth is spherical.
    What are you trying to say UL?

Thread Information