Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Got flu shot.........

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I think I’ll just be content with having received the original vaccine – the new one sounds more trouble than it’s worth
    Knowing several family members who've had shingles....no way I'm skipping this vaccine when it's recommended for me. I don't want that level of severe pain and disability even if temporary.

I will never forget my very first patient in nursing school. 48yo female in the Nursing Home. She had shingles so severe she opted for a complete cordotomy (sever the spinal cord to be paralyzed below her lungs). She was amazing with a great attitude and not at all regretting her choice. She said the pain was absolutely intolerable despite morphine maximum doses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I think I’ll just be content with having received the original vaccine – the new one sounds more trouble than it’s worth
    Shingles is awful. Get the damned thing. The inside of my left knee is still numb from the shingles. It will lessen an attack if you get it. I now know what to wish on my worst enemy.

I never had mono. But when I got shingles at age 17, it was during a very busy and stressful semester,

I had chicken pox. I had mono at age 17. I get cold sores anytime my stress level rises. No thank you shingles. "It is strong with this one"

I had measles just before six.months of age. I had mono at 12. I've never had chicken pox.

Both of my kids have had it, though. Ds was 9, and had a small rash for three or four days. His sister got it 13 days later and had complete body coverage of a full rash for a complete two week period. She was miserable!

I never got it.

Dh had shingles about two years ago and is getting the shot. My doc tells me no. But why didn't I get the pox?

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    I had measles just before six.months of age. I had mono at 12. I've never had chicken pox.

Both of my kids have had it, though. Ds was 9, and had a small rash for three or four days. His sister got it 13 days later and had complete body coverage of a full rash for a complete two week period. She was miserable!

I never got it.

Dh had shingles about two years ago and is getting the shot. My doc tells me no. But why didn't I get the pox?
    My understanding is that if you've never had chicken pox you should get THAT vaccination, not the shingles vaccination. The thinking being that if you never get chicken pox you can never have shingles.

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post

I never got it.

I've never had chicken pox either, though I've been exposed a couple of times. I did have mumps and measles--getting immunized to old fashioned way.
    I'd prefer to limit my vaccine exposure, so I'm happy to have avoided the pox.

I had chicken pox as a kid, so we were interested in the Zostavax vaccine. Neither one of us recalls any notable reaction to the vaccine. As others have posted, Shingrix comes in two doses and is around 96-97% effective, which is much higher than the Zostavax vaccine. We'll definitely get it as soon as we can.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information