Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is endless hunger a life-long struggle?

That sounds awful Cathy and I am glad I don’t have that. I am cranky when I am hungry.

DH and I have weird hunger clocks--when we get involved in "life" we don't eat. When we used to take our kids' friends on vacation, we would be out meandering and it would get to be 3pm and our visitors would riot if we hadn't suggested lunch yet. One of them (a teenager/young adult at the time) actually started crying once. I hope she didn't call her parents complaining! I'm assuming not, because we're still friends. DH and I are 1 meal a day eaters.. with a some grazing throughout.

I anticipate that I'll be that type of elderly parent that the kids have to stop by and ask, "Mom, have you eaten yet?" And I'll likely say, "oh, I had a cracker and a piece of cheese." So, I do have a potential eating issue in the works. When my "soul-sister" aunt died in September, the family feels that her emotions a few year back when her husband got Alzheimer's caused her to abandon self-care and regular eating. She didn't eat and was extremely thin when she died. I could see that happening to me.

When I do get really hungry, I default to the worst food possible. McDonald's is the best, most instant cure for my food cravings, unfortunately.

Cathy, I agree that certain diets might mitigate hunger signals, but you raise interesting points about early links between how we are raised and the emotions involved. Have you tried low carb?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I tried low carb for a few weeks and felt awful the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I tried low carb for a few weeks and felt awful the whole time.
    Really-low-carb should be accompanied by plenty of water and plenty of salt to balance out the change in body water levels caused by losing glucose stores. The illness is sometimes referred to as "keto flu" and it does last a litle while (but not weeks if you're keeping up on water and salt). Of course, it's possible something else was going on, too.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Stock/bone broth with a little extra potassium from avocados or Lite Salt. Electrolytes make all the difference. It does take a little time to switch to fat-burning. It's easier for some than for others.

Yppej
    Keto has worked for me. Green tea also helps.

After years of grazing ("Eat six small meals a day.") it was a revelation to me how that pattern so profoundly affects blood sugar/insulin levels and hunger. Add refined carbs into the mix, and it's no wonder so many are walking around "hangry." When we ate two or three meals a day, we didn't have such problems. Food manufacturers and their marketeers know what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    After years of grazing ("Eat six small meals a day.") it was a revelation to me how that pattern so profoundly affects blood sugar/insulin levels and hunger. Add refined carbs into the mix, and it's no wonder so many are walking around "hangry." When we ate two or three meals a day, we didn't have such problems. Food manufacturers and their marketeers know what they're doing.
    I figure our bodies are kind of like cars. If you constantly have your foot on the gas (meaning eating constantly and requiring our "engine" to be constantly working) it's going to create wear and tear on the parts. That's one reason intermittent fasting makes sense to me.

However, I don't recall the common wisdom telling us to eat 6 small meals a day. Last time I heard that was when talking to dieticians advising chemo patients on how to get themselves to be able to eat anything at all. If you eat 6 small meals a day, how do you have time to do anything else??
    Last edited by catherine; 10-20-18 at 9:22am.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have continued to experiment with the weight problem, but after I've tried a few more things I'm prepared to accept what is the likeliest--and scientifically confirmed--truth of the matter. If you are overweight, it's probable that your body chemistry has changed in such a way as to make any significant, permanent weight loss highly problematic. You have a set range, and any success in getting well below the set range is likely to be temporary. You diet, your metabolism slows, and you stop losing weight even though you are eating less. Meanwhile your primitive brain is screaming for you to get back to your set point--what it regards as your normal weight. The choice then becomes living each day with a constant sense of deprivation, or allowing yourself to eat in a way that makes you feel comfortable, even though it means living with extra pounds.

This is an oversimplification, but not much of one, and this dynamic is why 95% of dieters gain back lost weight within two years, often adding a few more pounds in the process. Of course, in some extreme cases drastic action, like surgery, may be needed to head off even worse consequences. But for those of us who are 10, 15, 20 percent over our "ideal" weight, I've come to believe that the most pragmatic approach is to simply try to be optimally healthy at the low end of your set range. Eat as well as you can, exercise regularly, but don't starve yourself in the hope of achieving the ideal, because your chances of permanent success are very small.

During my man cold I stopped fasting. I will go back to fasting this week. My experience is that hunger comes in waves. The strongest wave is from 10am until about noon.

Thread Information