Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 189 channels is nothing compared to 3.4

DH and I were in Europe this spring and noticed how many more people there were reading books. On a bus in London, every person had a book or paper, not one person on a phone. The same thing at cafes.

There seemed to be more book shops, and definitely more newstands, in Europe. I noticed especially in the U.K.that there are a great many more magazines than we have here.

I don't know why Americans seem to prefer playing on their phones to reading. Maybe we spend too many years in school and feel it becomes a chore

I prefer paper to digital media, but Hoopla and Library2go are sure handy.
    My imagination doesn't work as well when I'm reading on my tablet; it's harder to get fully absorbed.

Books use very little device memory as compared with apps or photos.

Since retiring, I am reading books a lot more. I love going to the library here and perusing the new books section or checking out Goodreads every month for something interesting. TV...we rarely watch anymore. Even most of the streaming stuff isn't all that great. I feel for my shut-in MIL who sits in front of the TV from dawn until she goes to bed. When we visit, I am amazed at the stupidity of the content.

I was always on the heavy reader end of the spectrum, and I read books exclusively in paper format, although I do read plenty of articles online. I don't watch TV, but occasionally borrow movies from the library.

People think Iím playing on my phone - but Iím actually reading books.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    This discussion does my heart good! Sometimes I feel like the last of the paper book readers...so nice to know there are others who still enjoy books. During a recent trip, it seemed most everyone in the airport boarding gates was actively involved on their phones or other electronic devices. Sometimes I was the only one with a book in hand.

One observation after 3 weeks in No. Italy: we, in the USA, in our public places, have an invasion of TV. In airports, in eateries, in pubs...and many are turned to a high volume...especially at sports venue bars.

In short, after our time in Europe, we found our home nation to be -- noisy! Though soccer matches were often on TV in public venues, most often, the sound was turned off--or to a quiet murmur. Our ears were never assaulted. It was bliss. I do love silence punctuated by birdsong. Hard to find any more...deep quiet...
    Author of the green eco-thriller: Falling Through Time http://fallingthroughtime.com Editor of http://vibrantvillage.com

Like Tammy I read books on my phone. Many people may be doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Like Tammy I read books on my phone. Many people may be doing that.
    If they're under 40, I doubt it. Even if they're under 50.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have a pretty large smart phone, but its screen is still smaller than the ones I usually read on--including my Paperwhite. If I were traveling, I would pack it--since it's awesomely portable--rather than even the smallest book (with exceptions for guide or phrase books.) There's the added convenience of having hundreds of books to choose from as I finish the one I'm currently reading.

I've been reading practically since birth, and have taken to e-reading seamlessly.

Well if they're poking at it continually with their index fingers or thumbs, you can pretty much bet they're not reading a novel.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Hmmm - Iím realizing that I really donít care what other people do. 😄