Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 189 channels is nothing compared to 3.4

189 channels is nothing compared to 3.4

Oops: the title should be 189 channels is nothing compared to 3.4 MILLION books

I just read something online that said that most people have 189 channels, but watch only 17.

Last night DH flipped around, and I was going to join him watching TV, but he settled on a series that I wasn't that familiar with or interested in so I decided to get my kindle and read while he watched TV. I thought about how often lately I'm simply uninterested in the choices available on TV. Not because there isn't some high quality stuff on TV, but reading is more pleasurable to me. I'm currently reading a work of fiction and another work of non-fiction.

After all, TV only has 189 channels, and I have 3.4M books available to me, on Kindle alone. It made me wonder why I waste my time on such limited offerings on TV!

I was recommending a book to my son that I thought he would like, and he said, "Mom, you know I'm not a reader like you." It's interesting how reading books has taken such a nose dive, crowded out by TV and reading blurbs on the internet.

Reading may become some type of a niche activity in the future, like fencing or stamp collecting. And odd, because of all the billions of possibilities of things that there are to read.

Just a random Friday morning thought. I know there are a lot of readers here. Do you feel you're becoming a dying breed?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I agree; I'm dazzled by my ability to store hundreds of books on my Kindle and/or PC. And I find myself watching less and less TV, too--though I'm glad to have it for supplemental information and occasional entertainment. I may eventually ditch cable for a streaming service.

I love to read and love having books on my phone. Much easier than carrying a book around with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I love to read and love having books on my phone. Much easier than carrying a book around with me.
    I have thought of using my iPhone 6 Plus for downloading but hesitated due to concern about taking too much memory. Has it been a problem for you?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I have thought of using my iPhone 6 Plus for downloading but hesitated due to concern about taking too much memory. Has it been a problem for you?
    I have an iPhone 5c with only 16GB and it's no problem at all. You can choose which books to download to your iPhone. I just checked my storage capacity, and my Kindle is responsible for only 279MB. Looks like I have about 50 books downloaded from the Cloud to my iPhone. I also read directly off the computer, and on my iPad mini (I actually use the iPad as a "kindle")--I gave my Paperwhite Kindle to DH.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I have an iPhone 5c with only 16GB and it's no problem at all. You can choose which books to download to your iPhone. I just checked my storage capacity, and my Kindle is responsible for only 279MB. Looks like I have about 50 books downloaded from the Cloud to my iPhone. I also read directly off the computer, and on my iPad mini (I actually use the iPad as a "kindle")--I gave my Paperwhite Kindle to DH.
    That Kindle for PC download is the bomb. I love reading on a big screen. And I love my Kindle Paperwhite for how light and portable it is.

I have the iPhone 7 and no issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    That Kindle for PC download is the bomb. I love reading on a big screen. And I love my Kindle Paperwhite for how light and portable it is.
    I tend to read straight off the computer if there are a lot of pictures and illustrations in the book. I also loved the Paperwhite, but while traveling it seemed redundant to have an iPad AND a kindle, so I just use the iPad now, but I agree, the Paperwhite screen is great, and it's very light.

I still prefer to read books in paper format. The storage capacity of my backpack is limited, but i’m rarely reading more than two books at a time so it’s good enough for me. The library has storage for 3.9M books so it’s kinda just like a kindle... 😄

So old school!

I try to limit myself to a title or two also--sometimes it's hard to make a choice with an embarrassment of riches at my fingertips. At the moment, I'm reading a book on peanut allergies, and a light mystery. The more choices (audio, video, downloadable, paper, etc.) the better, I say. With ebooks, I don't have to find parking at the library or worry about returns--library ebooks just disappear when they're due.

Thread Information