Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Migrant Caravan.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Most people are only on welfare a very short time to get on their feet. Welfare queens are a myth. Unskilled people are needed to do all the work that Americans won’t do. Have you seen any white people lately working the fields? Immigrants know how to work hard, sacrifice to get ahead and save their money. Many end up owning businesses.
    Then let's FORCE people to work in the field. The country is being run like bad parents, in the sense that you can't let your kids make the rules when they're young, and then expect them to be responsible when they get older.
    It's called DISCIPLINE. But hey......isn't that too dictatorial? but seriously...........why can't we force people to work in jobs they don't necessarily like, if that's the only way they can have money to eat, have a roof over their heads, etc.
    I'm sure you're thinking "What if they do a shit job in the field? Well, then they don't eat dinner. Period.

I think this country thinks that reasonable expectations of behavior is un-democratic. I don't know what the answer is, but I sure don't like the way some things are. It's just not working.

Yppej
    I don’t know how they got on Medicaid but it is not legal. When you sponsor someone you sign a paper that you will support them for 10 years as they cannot qualify for government assistance and they check your finances to make sure that you can afford to do that. I know from personal experience. Flowers, when I read what you would like to happen I didn’t agree with one thing. The suggestions were all awful.
    It absolutely is legal and common. The rule is that the new immigrant cannot be "primarily dependent" on government assistance. So in a high cost of living area if they live with family the housing counts as a large portion of their support and they can get Medicaid, SNAP, etc.

ETA: Trump is trying to change this. If you want to read more about this Google "public charge".

Our country was founded on immigrants.
    Do ya think we dont know that? I mean, really.

IL, then stop acting like immigration is horrible. Thought people needed to be reminded.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Do ya think we dont know that? I mean, really.
    But people may not know they came over the Bering land bridge.

Yppej
    IL, then stop acting like immigration is horrible.
    Horrible isn't the word I would use, but for immigrants who do not work wouldn't it make more sense to support them in their own country where the cost of living is lower, using foreign aid?

This obviously would not apply in countries like Syria that are war zones.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I just wish everyone wasn't so polarized on this issue. It shouldn't be all or nothing. Why can't our government make decent choices?
    It seems like "freedom for all" sounds great and everything is based on that. Then eventually, it starts appearing that that concept is causing problems.
    I know this is a poor example........but take drones for example. Oh yeah, they're great! And all the companies start selling them to any and everyone.
    Now we're realizing that they can cause problems to airplanes, etc. and need to back-track. Why don't we think things out before we jump into allowing everything??

I know you conservatives feel that government should stay out of things......but what do you think would happen without it? We'd be kids in a candy store, and be throwing up at the end of the day. (and killing each other)..........but then again, that would take care of population......... And liberals are "everything for everyone.......we love them all, no matter what they do!"

I wish I didn't think so much.
    You seem to be the one painting the immigration issue as all or nothing, and that is uninformed. This country has several programs to allow and encourage immigrant people. You post as though they don’t exist now, that it is a free-for-all.

Of course it is not. When you say “it shouldn’t be all or nothing “ please recognize that “it” is not that.

And your representation of “ conservative” thought is cartoonish. If I need to state a common conservative view in a very simple way so that you can understand it, it is this: the one important Job the federal government has is to defend the country and defend its borders. Most all conservatives would agree that this is either the single most important job OR it is up there very high on a list of important jobs.

And when you talk about conservatives feeling “ that government should stay out of things” perhaps make some small distinction between federal, state, and local government. They have different roles in my life.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I don’t know how they got on Medicaid but it is not legal. When you sponsor someone you sign a paper that you will support them for 10 years as they cannot qualify for government assistance and they check your finances to make sure that you can afford to do that. I know from personal experience. Flowers, when I read what you would like to happen I didn’t agree with one thing. The suggestions were all awful.
    I did not propose any of these things. I said they should be discusses and appropriate laws passed. Because if we don’t discuss anything and wait for executive orders to be written, then court decisions to stop them it makes for a ridiculous system.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So in other words the republican platform. Yawn. Maybe instead of starting with the base assumption that immigration is bad we should have a conversation about whether immigrants are the net negative the scared folks think they are. I mean, just because trump tells us they are all rapists and murderers doesn't make it so.
    I am not proposing these things or saying we should do any of these things. But if they are not discussed and compromised as I said before, executive order, lawsuits and so on. We deserve better than our current system.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post

So Rob, What exactly is it that you are wanting to protest?
    Cathy, Hi, and Thank You for this very fair question. This is a hard one for me in a way as I agree with you'all that we can't save the entire world and I'm 50/50 over letting the caravan in myself. So - given this last, what to protest?

The immigration system in this country and how genuine cases deserving asylum are being turned away, based on arbitrary decision by far too powerful (mostly) not highly educated front line personnel, who in some cases harbor discrimination against those in front of them and since there's no checks and balances on their power, they can get away with it. To me, this all is worthy of months and months and months of protest.....but I do have bills like anyone else, you know? I do what I can. Rob

Thread Information