Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Migrant Caravan.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Migrant Caravan.

How do you feel this should be handled? I intensely dislike Trump, but I agree that we can't keep letting so many people in. To be honest, I find it curious when people think we should have open borders. I wonder how they would feel if they lived near the southwest border? And just think of the resources necessary to let them in and then go through the acceptance/rejection process? We don't take care of those already living here (education, food, etc.).

Seems like it would be a better use of our resources, to somehow make some of these south american countries safer.......but that's probably being naive.

I know most of us really feel for these people who want a better life. But, realistically, shouldn't we be careful to let so many in, when it adds to our country's burdens already?
    It would be nice if we could talk about this without only views of the far opposing ends of the continuum being in the list of options.

It's really easy to say "just let them all in", when you live 3,000 miles from the border, and it's not your responsibility to deal with all the issues involved.

My advice to you is this: Only worry about things you can have an influence over. So look around your life, your daily, weekly, monthly, yearly life. And organize according to what you actually can influence. This migrant caravan is virtually entirely outside your control.

Well, I don't think it is. What if we all ignored problems in our country, even though we weren't personally experiencing them? On a more selfish note........if we ignored them, we could lose those things close around us that make our lives more livable.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Well, I don't think it is. What if we all ignored problems in our country, even though we weren't personally experiencing them? On a more selfish note........if we ignored them, we could lose those things close around us that make our lives more livable.
    Tell me how you fretting over this caravan is influencing it.

Stop them at the border. Process them in accordance with the law. Send those who don't qualify home.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I just read online that this caravan reached the Mexican border. It is going to be very interesting to see how Mexico deals with this issue - with a new President, a lame duck President still in office until December that hates Trump, a population that is increasingly wary and distrustful of the United States due to Trump's behavior towards Mexico, and now pressure from Trump to intervene and halt the caravan or the US border is sealed per his recent threat - damned be any US citizen locked out of health care access desperately needing to access Mexican health care.

I don't know how Mexico is going to proceed and I offer no predictions - as the saying in Mexico goes - Nothing happens in Mexico until it happens. Rob

PS Should this caravan come either of the two ports of entry facing Nogales, Arizona, or the Andrade Port of Entry in California (Los Algodones is on the other side and this is only eight miles away, if that, from Yuma, Arizona) - I would attempt to switch with hours to get a day off to join the protests that are inevitable. We'll see where the caravan attempts to enter, if Mexico allows them entry to continue onwards.

Cathy, I understand your feelings. No we can’t let everyone in and many are coming because of the violence in their own countries. They don’t stop in Mexico because there aren’t jobs there. The problem with letting our laws decide is that they aren’t being applied fairly and correctly. People truly needing asylum are being turned away and kids are being jailed and traumatized. Ignoring issues doesn’t make them go away and gives this immoral administration a green light to keep abusing people.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Stop them at the border. Process them in accordance with the law. Send those who don't qualify home.
    But we haven’t even adequately handled the last group that came in. It’s a mess. And the resources it would take to follow the law for so many people all the time it’s ridiculous. We can’t afford to even give the children of this country decent educations. I think our attempts to be fair and humane need to be re-thought. Life is unfair. It isn’t the same country it was in the early 1900s. I know this sounds awful but the world has gotten to such a place that we can’t afford to always be fair and humane. The immigration policy really needs to be overhauled. And it just can’t be one extreme or the other. We don’t even consider following Canada’s way of bringing migrants in to harvest food and then go back home. We don’t take suggestions well from anyone else even if it would be the best thing. I’m usually a pretty compassionate person. But I’m seeing the writing on the wall with letting all these immigrants in all the time. And it bothers me how many resources And money are used to follow the law and put them through the process before letting them stay or sending them back. Wouldn’t it be nice if we didn’t pay billions to our enemies and use it to build up these other South American at Central American countries so that people wouldn’t want to flee them? What a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    But we haven’t even adequately handled the last group that came in. It’s a mess. And the resources it would take to follow the law for so many people all the time it’s ridiculous. We can’t afford to even give the children of this country decent educations. I think our attempts to be fair and humane need to be re-thought. Life is unfair. It isn’t the same country it was in the early 1900s. I know this sounds awful but the world has gotten to such a place that we can’t afford to always be fair and humane. The immigration policy really needs to be overhauled. And it just can’t be one extreme or the other. We don’t even consider following Canada’s way of bringing migrants in to harvest food and then go back home. We don’t take suggestions well from anyone else even if it would be the best thing. I’m usually a pretty compassionate person. But I’m seeing the writing on the wall with letting all these immigrants in all the time. And it bothers me how many resources And money are used to follow the law and put them through the process before letting them stay or sending them back. Wouldn’t it be nice if we didn’t pay billions to our enemies and use it to build up these other South American at Central American countries so that people wouldn’t want to flee them? What a mess.
    you are wrong. The U.S. allows many green workers in as temporary workers to work in the green industry.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I just read online that this caravan reached the Mexican border. It is going to be very interesting to see how Mexico deals with this issue - with a new President, a lame duck President still in office until December that hates Trump, a population that is increasingly wary and distrustful of the United States due to Trump's behavior towards Mexico, and now pressure from Trump to intervene and halt the caravan or the US border is sealed per his recent threat - damned be any US citizen locked out of health care access desperately needing to access Mexican health care.

I don't know how Mexico is going to proceed and I offer no predictions - as the saying in Mexico goes - Nothing happens in Mexico until it happens. Rob

PS Should this caravan come either of the two ports of entry facing Nogales, Arizona, or the Andrade Port of Entry in California (Los Algodones is on the other side and this is only eight miles away, if that, from Yuma, Arizona) - I would attempt to switch with hours to get a day off to join the protests that are inevitable. We'll see where the caravan attempts to enter, if Mexico allows them entry to continue onwards.

So Rob, What exactly is it that you are wanting to protest?

Thread Information