Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Migrant Caravan.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    But we haven’t even adequately handled the last group that came in. It’s a mess. And the resources it would take to follow the law for so many people all the time it’s ridiculous. We can’t afford to even give the children of this country decent educations. I think our attempts to be fair and humane need to be re-thought. Life is unfair. It isn’t the same country it was in the early 1900s. I know this sounds awful but the world has gotten to such a place that we can’t afford to always be fair and humane. The immigration policy really needs to be overhauled. And it just can’t be one extreme or the other. We don’t even consider following Canada’s way of bringing migrants in to harvest food and then go back home. We don’t take suggestions well from anyone else even if it would be the best thing. I’m usually a pretty compassionate person. But I’m seeing the writing on the wall with letting all these immigrants in all the time. And it bothers me how many resources And money are used to follow the law and put them through the process before letting them stay or sending them back. Wouldn’t it be nice if we didn’t pay billions to our enemies and use it to build up these other South American at Central American countries so that people wouldn’t want to flee them? What a mess.
    you are wrong. The U.S. allows many green workers in as temporary workers to work in the green industry.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Enforce the laws on the books and open up discussions on things our legislators should be discussing and debating, some of which are obviously very extreme and controversial but are being bantered around as ways to deter.

ending birthright citizenship
    end sanctuary cities
    no drivers licences to non legal residents.
    phasing out illegal children in public schools on a three year plan. Year one, no new illegal children admitted, two more years to phase other illegal children out
    put a limit on how long you can have a green card before either becoming a citizen or working towards that goal
    deport illegals regardless if they have followed the laws. No exceptions. Drunk driving, crime, no car insurance, illegal drug use etc. immediate deportation.
    No provision for Government paid interpreters at all phases of legal proceedings
    close the border as threatened. No one in, no one out without a US passport
    no foreign aid to countries that allow people to pass through
    ending chain migration
    deduct the emergency room bill from any countries foreign aid for illegal aliens who use the ER
    make a three tier plan for state university tuition. In state residents, out of state residents, out of country residents.
    Phase in higher fines and jail time for using illegal workers
    points off citizenship applications if you have used public benefits like food stamps
    Ending catch and release.
    Seperation of children at the border
    and so on

one of the reasons that people are coming is that every other breath out of Trumps mouth is how great the economy is, how many gazillion new jobs he is creating, how much work their is. Obviously that becomes a magnet for those with high unemployment rates
    Wow, you are proposing draconian changes!

I like that .

but they will not fly.

Yppej
    I don't even like how legal immigration is handled. A coworker just brought over her parents from Cambodia. Supposedly since she is their sponsor they will not be a financial burden on this country, but they are. She takes off time when it is busiest at work to take them to the doctor's and translate. They are on Medicaid and don't work at all. How many American working poor don't qualify for Medicaid and can't afford private insurance and don't get medical care or go bankrupt paying for it?

This couple are in their 50's and despite the language barrier could work as there are asembly jobs in the area with bilingual supervisors who speak Khmer, but they complain in October only that it is too cold and they don't want to leave their house. So I and the other taxpayers who do have to work foot the bill for their medical care.

I don’t know how they got on Medicaid but it is not legal. When you sponsor someone you sign a paper that you will support them for 10 years as they cannot qualify for government assistance and they check your finances to make sure that you can afford to do that. I know from personal experience. Flowers, when I read what you would like to happen I didn’t agree with one thing. The suggestions were all awful.

Enforce the laws on the books and open up discussions on things our legislators should be discussing and debating, some of which are obviously very extreme and controversial but are being bantered around as ways to deter.

end sanctuary cities
    phasing out illegal children in public schools on a three year plan. Year one, no new illegal children admitted, two more years to phase other illegal children out
    put a limit on how long you can have a green card before either becoming a citizen or working towards that goal
    deport illegals regardless if they have followed the laws. No exceptions. Drunk driving, crime, no car insurance, illegal drug use etc. immediate deportation.
    No provision for Government paid interpreters at all phases of legal proceedings
    ending chain migration
    deduct the emergency room bill from any countries foreign aid for illegal aliens who use the ER
    make a three tier plan for state university tuition. In state residents, out of state residents, out of country residents.
    points off citizenship applications if you have used public benefits like food stamps
    and so on

one of the reasons that people are coming is that every other breath out of Trumps mouth is how great the economy is, how many gazillion new jobs he is creating, how much work their is. Obviously that becomes a magnet for those with high unemployment rates
    So in other words the republican platform. Yawn. Maybe instead of starting with the base assumption that immigration is bad we should have a conversation about whether immigrants are the net negative the scared folks think they are. I mean, just because trump tells us they are all rapists and murderers doesn't make it so.

Our country was founded on immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Our country was founded on immigrants.
    No offense Teacher Terry, but that statement makes me crazy. It's a totally different time in the world today. Life is not the same. The land is not the same. NOTHING is the same. We need to be flexible to deal with the present.
    It's sort of like the right to bear arms. They were talking about muskets. Now look where we are.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just let in migrants who already had a skill/motivation/common sense, and trade them with all our citizens who have nothing to give except crime and need welfare? Yeah, let's do that exchange!

end sanctuary cities
    ending chain migration
    and so on

Actually, I like quite a few of those ideas, and think they are just common sense. Yeah, Trump is a loose canon (the loose-canon-in-chief), and nobody should believe anything he says.

Most people are only on welfare a very short time to get on their feet. Welfare queens are a myth. Unskilled people are needed to do all the work that Americans won’t do. Have you seen any white people lately working the fields? Immigrants know how to work hard, sacrifice to get ahead and save their money. Many end up owning businesses.

I just wish everyone wasn't so polarized on this issue. It shouldn't be all or nothing. Why can't our government make decent choices?
    It seems like "freedom for all" sounds great and everything is based on that. Then eventually, it starts appearing that that concept is causing problems.
    I know this is a poor example........but take drones for example. Oh yeah, they're great! And all the companies start selling them to any and everyone.
    Now we're realizing that they can cause problems to airplanes, etc. and need to back-track. Why don't we think things out before we jump into allowing everything??

I know you conservatives feel that government should stay out of things......but what do you think would happen without it? We'd be kids in a candy store, and be throwing up at the end of the day. (and killing each other)..........but then again, that would take care of population......... And liberals are "everything for everyone.......we love them all, no matter what they do!"

I wish I didn't think so much.

Thread Information