Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade dog food?

This (rescue) dog was 10 years old when we got her. The story (you never get the full story from the rescue because they don't usually get the full story) was that she belonged to an old lady for, for some reason, could no longer care for her. The lady's daughter took Dog and tried to keep her but just wasn't up to it, so Dog was surrendered to the rescue. She was fostered for about three months before we adopted her. Dog was never the sharpest tool in the shed, but it struck us as odd that she had no idea what to do with a dog toy and she was so poorly socialized with other dogs. Based on pretty much every other dog I've known, play was innate. Even if the dog was not a genius, it could figure out a squeaky toy.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We have rescued old dogs and many didn’t want to play with toys. I don’t find that unusual. We adopted a 10yo deaf puppy mill breeder that was not socialized, potty trained, etc. It took a few years before she figured out how to play with the other dogs. She eventually would play with a ball but nothing else. One of my Maltese played with toys until we got her a buddy. She never touched a toy again.

It was absolutely new to our experience. Perhaps it's unfair to stereotype but we figured, based on how Dog behaved about food and such, the old lady spoiled her rotten. Our next-door-neighbor's 10-year-old rescue dog loved toys. And people. And even other dogs. My mom has plied her rescue dog (4-year-old puppy mill rescue) with toys like you wouldn't believe and he plays with all of them (he's especially good about getting the squeaker out in minutes). But he's a lot smarter than our Dog was. Just a strange little creature, at once obsessed with certain things (me and food) and almost completely uncaring about 'most everything else.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We were recently given a retired show dog. They are never allowed to play with toys. Despite seeing 2 of our 4 dogs play with them she has zero interest.

I used to make my previous dog a home prepared raw diet. It was a lot of work but it got rid of her seasonal allergies. My current dog eats a human-grade dehydrated commercial food, pricey but healthy.

Rice isn't really a great thing for dogs. Most cheap dog foods contain it and it's not a healthy grain. Also, check your peanut butter to make sure it doesn't have xylitol----extremely toxic to dogs.

There are many healthy dog foods out there (kibble isn't really the best); none are bought in a supermarket. When you begin to read exactly what is in pet food, you'll choose more carefully. Pay for better food now and pay less for vet visits later.

Sorry to go on but I see so many people complain about their pet's health, odor, shedding, allergies, etc. and feed cheap food or make an unbalanced home made diet. Some special treats are fine, but be sure the base of their diet is the best you can afford.

Pony, what dog food are you using? I try to always feed high quality food.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Pony, what dog food are you using? I try to always feed high quality food.
    I feed The Honest Kitchen. It's one of the few pet foods that can say it uses human grade ingredients. They encourage you to add raw/cooked meat, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. and have complete meals and base mixes. The texture is unusual to some animals, as it's dehydrated and you add warm water to it.

If I could afford to I would feed Primal raw frozen foods. But it would cost me about $40/mo. to feed my dog-----and she's only 6 lbs! I was feeding her another frozen raw but there were recalls on quite a few brands and I thought it was safer to feed THK. I also like having just a box or jar of powdered food than a bag of food taking up freezer space.

I switch between different proteins every few months and switch from grain to grain-free, since she doesn't have any problems with them. They sell small sample cups to try if you wanted to give your pet a sample first.

https://www.thehonestkitchen.com

Thanks for the information. As we have 3 small dogs and a 80lb husky/shepherd I will look at it. I had to rule out raw because of the price.

You can also use oats instead of rice. Even without the fish sauce, they would gobble it up.

Thread Information