Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade dog food?

Homemade dog food?

Harlan gets plenty of kibble. But I also make meals for him, like on weekends or if he is out of kibble and I don't want to go to the store.

I usually boil some rice. That is the base of his homemade meals.

I will also put chicken -- breasts or thighs (anything boneless) -- in the crock pot. I will chop some carrots into big chunks and throw that in there. I will also shake a bunch of Thai fish sauce into the crock pot. I will cook that on high for like 4 hours. Then I put it over the rice.

Harlan goes wild! I think it is the fish sauce. It has a very strong scent.

I will also make a rice and peanut butter porridge and Harlan loves it for breakfast. Sometimes I will throw in a banana too.

Anyone else prepare special meals for their pets?

When sick chicken and rice

Sounds good, but watch all that salt intake. Dogs aren’t used to it And can have trouble handling it.

DW used to make homemade dog treats out of pumpkin/squash, peanut butter, some seeds, and ... well, I wasn't watching very closely since I was preparing our food. The dog liked them. They likely were cheaper than similar treats purchased at the pet store. But they were a casualty of other activities and now we don't have a dog (or whatever that thing was).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

For awhile, I too made my own dog treats. I forget what all was in them. But that fell by the wayside, along with other things I used to feel motivated to do/make.
    LOL Steve..........you're not sure it was a dog?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    LOL Steve..........you're not sure it was a dog?
    No. Too much like a cat. Wanted interaction with humans only on her terms. Had no idea how to play with others of her kind. Had no idea how to play with dog toys (!). She may have been a dog genetically but she was altogether a strange visitor from another planet.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

At one point I was making dog treats too. Now I buy them.

Steve.....how old was she when you got her? The 2 dogs and 1 cat we had were all around 4-6 months old. It seemed like they had qualities that we just couldn't improve on......like the damage was done, so to speak.

Many dogs and cats are removed from their litters to early before they have learned valuable lessons on how to be a good dog/cat and how to interact with other animals and humans. You can look it up using "single puppy or kitten syndrome". Even being a single puppy/kitten with a mother can lead to socialization issues.

Small dogs are not supposed to leave their mom’s until 3 months of age.

Thread Information